Organized since 1991, this prestigious short comics (up to 8 pages) competition features the following prizes: the Grand Prix, 3 main prizes and 3 special awards. All winners get cash and in-kind prize. The grand prix winner additionally get the Komiksus statue. All works are presented at the exhibition and the best, selected ones are printed in a catalogue.
27. International Festival of Comics and Games in Lodz 2016 Rules of the competition for a short comics story
1. The competition is open for everyone and there is no given theme of the works 2. The allowed techniques are: drawing, painting, digital art and photography.
1. A participant can submit one complete and full story, up to 8 pages.
2. By ‘participant’ we understand: one person responsible for the story and drawings; a duo of artists; larger group of artists. One artist (drawer or writer) can be a part of many duos or groups.
3. The pages should be in a vertical A4 (210 x 297 mm) or A3 (297 x 420 mm) format. On the back of each page there should be: title of the work, page number, name and surname of the author/s, their functions (artist / scenarist etc.), home address, e-mail and phone number. This information should be written only on the back of the page.
4. When sending original pages, copies or prints you should enclose a CD or DVD with the digital version of the work (tiff or jpg, CMYK, A4 – 300 DPI). 5. The package with submitted work should also include a filled-out and signed entry form, available at www.komiksfestiwal.com.
6. The works should be securely packed in a stiff, cardboard folder, which should be signed, enabling the organizers to send it back to the owner by post (copies and prints will not be returned).
7. The works should be sent to the following address: EC1 Lodz – Miasto Kultury, ul. Targowa 1/3, 90-022 Lodz, Poland with a signature on the package ‘KOMIKS 2016’. The deadline for this year is August 31, 2016 (date on a post stamp will decide).
8. The participation fee is 30 PLN for participants from Poland, 10 Euro for participants from other countries. The amount should be transferred to the account: Stowarzyszenie Tworcow CONTUR, ul. Roosevelta 17, 90-056 Lodz, mBank, account no. PL66 1140 2017 0000 4902 0245 4189 (SWIFT: BREX PL PW MUL), and the confirmation should be attached to the submitted work.
9. Only works complying with the requirements will take part in the competition.
10. The works allowed in the competition will be shown at the exhibition of competition works during the International Festival of Comics and Games. The organizers reserve the right to verify the participants’ works which are to be presented in the exposition.
11. All participants will be granted free entry to all festival events. What is more, all participants whose work will be featured in the catalogue, will get a free copy of it.
1. The works will be evaluated by a jury appointed by the organizers.
2. The jury, after examining all the submitted works, will choose he Grand Prix, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize and three special awards.
3. All the winners will obtain financial prizes. Grand Prix – 7 000 PLN, 1st prize – 4 500 PLN; 2nd prize – 3 500 PLN; 3rd prize – 2 000 PLN; three special awards – 1 000 PLN each. Proper tax will be deducted from all prizes.
4. The results will be announced on October 1, 2016, during the International Festival of Comics and Games in Lodz.
5. The winners will be informed about the results before the festival and invited to participate in the ceremony – travel expenses will be reimbursed by the festival.
1. The organizers reserve the right to publish chosen works in the catalogue of the competition, in promotional publications, in special extra publications, press releases and in the Internet as a form of promotion of the author, comics and the competition. Furthermore, the organizers will have the right to print or publish digitally the works, with no authorization or fee, in the future years.
2. Submitting the work to the competition is equal to transferring the author’s economic rights to the organizer in order to use the submitted works in the areas mentioned in article 50 of the act from February 4, 1994 about author’s rights and affined rights (Journal of Laws of the Republic of Poland 06.90.631).
3. Participating in the competition is equal to agreeing for processing personal information by the organizer in accordance with the regulation for the protection of personal data passed on August 29, 1997 as long as the data will be revealed in the process of the competition and in accordance to its rules. According to article 24 of the regulation for the protection of personal data passed on August 29, 1997 (Dz. U. z 2002 r. nr 101, poz. 926), the organizer of the competition informs the competitors that their personal data will be processed in the organizer’s residence on the basis of the voluntary agreement of the competitor concerning executing the competitions’ rules in order to promote comics and the competition itself.
4. Submitting the work by a participant means that the work does not derogate the rights of third parties especially does not infringe copyright or author’s economic or personal rights and that the participant has the consent of anyone whose image is used in the work to use it in order to participate in the competition. The participant is responsible for any claims consequential to the violation of the right of a third party.
5. Furthermore, submitting the work to the competition is equal to agreeing to share their personal data with a publisher interested in cooperating with the participant (unless the participant decides otherwise and will enclose a proper statement in the submitted work).
6. After the series of the exhibitions has ended, the originals of the works will be available in the Lodz Comics Center or will be returned by post.
7. The rules are the only basis to conduct the competition, and their interpretation belongs to the organizers and the competition’s jury.
8. Taking part in the competition means accepting its rules.
9. The organizer reserves the right to change the rules. Organizers: the Association of Artists CONTUR and the EC1 Lodz – City of Culture
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: