The Hubble Fellowship Program provides an opportunity for highly qualified recent postdoctoral scientists to conduct independent research that is broadly related to the NASA Cosmic Origins scientific goals as addressed by any of the missions in that program: the Hubble Space Telescope, Spitzer Space Telescope, Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA), the Herschel Space Observatory, and the James Webb Space Telescope. The research will be carried out at United States Host Institutions chosen by each Fellow.
The Fellowship provides support for up to three years at an annual stipend of approximately $67,500 plus benefits, and an additional allowance of $16,000 per year for travel and other research costs. Contingent upon National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) funding, up to 17 new Hubble Fellowships will be awarded for 2016.
The Hubble Fellowship Program is administered for NASA by the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI), operated by the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc., working in cooperation with astronomical institutions throughout the United States. Awards will be made to support each Hubble Fellow through a designated Host Institution.
An application for the Fellowship consists of a research proposal and supporting documentation, as described below. Applicants must have received their Ph.D. or equivalent degree on or after January 1, 2013. The deadline for receipt of applications isThursday, November 5, 2015 and for reference letters is Thursday, November 12, 2015. Award offers will be made by early February 2016.
Materials Submitted Directly by the Applicant
Applicants must submit their materials via the web Application Form. These materials must include:
- A completed Hubble Fellowship Application form;
- A curriculum vitae
- A list of publications
- A summary of previous and current research (limited to three pages total, including references)
- A copy of the research proposal, described below (limited to 3 pages text plus 2 pages references/figures)
All materials submitted must be in at least 12-point fonts, single spaced, and all pages should be numbered. Non-U.S. applicants should make sure that their applications will copy successfully onto 8.5x11 inch (21.6x28 cm) paper without loss (i.e., with 1-inch margins on all sides). Please keep each file to less than 2 MB.
Each applicant must formulate a specific research program that is related to or motivated by Cosmic Origins related science and is compatible with the research activities of the Host Institution. The proposed research need not be based directly on mission data from the Cosmic Origins program (HST, Spitzer, SOFIA, Herschel, or JWST), but its relevance to their science must be stated clearly and unambiguously. Relevance to the HST mission will be interpreted broadly, and encompasses theoretical, observational, and instrumental research.
The research proposal text should be no more than three pages of text in length, with up to two additional pages for references and/or figures. Reviewers will be instructed to ignore any pages in excess of the stated limits. The submitted material must be of a quality that will permit photocopying for the reviewers. Any color illustrations may appear black and white in the reviewers' copies.
Applicants must arrange for their research proposals to be read and approved by a faculty member of the first-choice Host Institution (the Faculty Contact).
- You should have received (or expect to receive) your Ph.D. on or after January 1, 2013.
- Upload the following materials as PDF files to the Hubble Fellowship Application form, by Thursday, November 5, 2015:
- Completed Application Form
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications
- Summary of previous and current research (limited to 3 pages total, including references)
- Research proposal (limited to 3 pages text plus up to 2 optional pages of references/figures). Include relevance to Cosmic Origins science.
- Do not attach anything else (reprints, preprints, cover letter, cover sheets, etc.)
- Email addresses of three referees
- Deadline for receipt of reference letters is Thursday, November 12, 2015.
- We recommend that you remind your referees to send their letters by the November 12 deadline.
- Please use the email address below for all correspondence.
- Receipt of applications will be acknowledged by e-mail shortly after the online submission.
Applications for the Hubble Fellowship at STScI must be made using the Hubble Fellowship Application form. You may, depending on your browser, receive a security certificate warning, please click "Accept" to continue to the Application Form.
For technical issues with the Application Process, please contact SlideRoom @ https://support.slideroom.com.
For questions about policies and procedures regarding the Hubble Fellowship Program, please contact the Hubble Fellowship Program coordinator @ email@example.com or at 410-338-2474.