HAPPINESS ONTHEMOVE AWARD
The great Italian comic actor Antonio De Curtis, stage-name Totò, said that making people laugh is far more difficult than making them cry. Transferring this concept to photography one could say that the portrayal of drama, suffering or tragedy is easier than portraying happiness.
On this premise, our Happiness ONTHEMOVE prize was introduced to the festival as the in-house competition in partnership with Consorzio Vino Chianti (Chianti wine producers' consortium) and with the media partnership of Pagina99.
For this contest, all photographers are charged with the task of documenting happiness, the joy of life and the beauty that surrounds us while boldly challenging the old truism which claims "no news is good news".
It's not by pure chance that we talk about extreme challenges.
In this image-obsessed, social-media age we have created, happiness has been devalued to a mere platitude. A sort of contrived theatrical, or situational comedy depicting the subject of the 'selfie' during a snatched moment of false euphoria to be flashed before their 'friends' (and perfect strangers), thereby reducing the concept to a purely superficial dimension in an endlessly repeatable series of clichés.
The challenge of Happiness ONTHEMOVE is to find stories that explore the deeper aspects of happiness. Everyday stories. Stories that at first glance seem quite ordinary, but which nevertheless make us smile and give us glimpses of the realistic happiness of life: not always easy, not always visible. Above all - never banal.
The winning entry, selected by an international jury, will win 5.000 euros and will be exhibited at Cortona On The Move 2018.
How to enter
You can send in your application to take part in the ONTHEMOVE Happiness Award from April 10 until 23:59 hrs (Central European Time) on May 21, 2017.
Your application should include:
- A minimum of 8 and a maximum of 15 images. Each image should be in Jpeg format, colour or B&W, 800 pixels on the longest side, resolution of 72dpi and a max file size of 2 Mb. You must retain a corresponding, high resolution file of 10 Mb minimum for each image submitted. We will ask you to send in your high res images if your application is accepted.
- A title for your work
- A written presentation (brief introduction to your work in a maximum of 1000 characters, including spaces)
- Bio (a brief written biography, not a CV)
- Image files with the following naming protocol: SURNAME_FIRST NAME INITIAL_SEQUENTIAL IMAGE NUMBER.
- You will be able to upload your material after first filling in the entry profile and registration form which are available on the official website.
The winning entry will be selected and announced on June 19th, 2017
- The winner's name will be published on the COTM website
- The winning entry will be presented on Saturday, July 15th 2017, during the festival inauguration
- The winning entry will be exhibited at the 2018 edition of Cortona On the Move
- Elena Boille - Internazionale
- Krzysztof Candrowicz - Triennal of photography Hamburg
- Antonio Carloni – Cortona On The Move
- Alice Gabriner – Time
- Anna Iuzzolini – Pagina 99
- Sarah Leen - National Geographic
- Elisa Medde - Foam
- Ute Noll – Du magazine
- Arianna Rinaldo - Cortona On The Move
- Scott Thode - Visura
- Each project entered should have a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 15 images..
- The author of each project must possess intellectual ownership and exclusive copyright for the work entered.
- Any work entered that is the product of multiple photographers should include a written declaration, signed in advance by all parties concerned, confirming that they agree to participate in the contest.
- After the winning entry has been announced, the author of the work should grant temporary rights to Associazione ONTHEMOVE for ALL of the project's high resolution images for the following uses:
- Production of an exhibition of the winning project at next year's edition of Cortona On The Move festival. The photographs will be printed at the expense of Associazione Culturale ONTHEMOVE and will be lodged in the Association's official archives. Associazione ONTHEMOVE will not exhibit the images at any additional events without the author's full agreement and prior consent.
- Publication in one single issue of a journal to be chosen by ON THE MOVE.
- Publication in the current Cortona On The Move festival catalogue and in subsequent editions.
- The author will also grant publishing rights for using 4 of the project's images for:
- Printed and online promotional articles in media chosen by ON THE MOVE.
- Press releases and promotional documents on Cortona OTM websites.
- Multimedia promotion and documentary material
- ON THE MOVE does not have the right to exploit the images for economic gain without the prior consent and agreement of the author. The winning author retains the right to be credited for his/her images.
- If the winner fails to accept these entry regulations, either wholly or partially, the award will be withdrawn and re-assigned to the second highest ranking entrant.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: