Awards of $1,000 or more are available to assist in conducting investigative projects.
These fellowships are for journalists who make their living primarily as independent journalists. Applications are scrutinized by three experienced freelance journalists; they are ineligible for the award while serving on the committee.
Required application materials: Resume, work samples, and answers to the following questions:
- Explain your freelance status in as much detail as necessary for the selection committee to determine your eligibility.
- Describe your project in a narrative of no fewer than 200 words and no more than 1000 words.
- How do you plan to spend the money if you receive one of the IRE freelance fellowships?
- If your project requires additional funding, how do you plan to raise the rest of the funding necessary to complete your project?
- Where do you hope to publish or air the project?
- Have you discussed publication with any specific outlets? If so, please summarize the conversations. If you have already signed a contract with a publisher or broadcast outlet, please provide specifics.
- If you receive one of the fellowships, when do you expect to deliver the project to a potential publisher or broadcast outlet?
DEADLINE: April 1, 2016.