Call for applications: Documentary Photography Training in Kazakhstan
NOOR – SFK DOCUMENTARY PHOTOGRAPHY TRAINING PROGRAM FOR KAZAKHSTANI PHOTOGRAPHERS TAUGHT BY TANYA HABJOUQA AND SEBASTIÁN LISTE
12-15 OCTOBER 2017 IN ALMATY, KAZAKHSTAN
DEADLINE TO APPLY: 2 JULY 2017
NOOR Foundation and Soros Foundation Kazakhstan are pleased to invite Kazakhstani photographers to apply for a free-of-cost, intensive training in documentary photography and visual storytelling led by NOOR photographers Tanya Habjouqa (US) and Sebastián Liste (ES).
As visual storytellers – documentary photographers create, select, combine, sequence and present their photographs to craft them into visual narratives. These visual narratives use photographs, captions, text and supporting media to bring attention to and communicate important stories for a broader public to engage with. This training program is a unique opportunity to learn and develop the skills, tools and commitment needed to produce impactful visual storytelling.
During the intensive training, ten participants will have the opportunity to cover a social-interest photo story under the guidance of NOOR photographers and NOOR Education alumni. In an intimate and interactive environment, the program will impart skills, tools and ethical principles to aspiring visual storytellers to conceptualize, produce, photography, edit and present their own photo stories.
Participants will be coached and mentored while they work on their own photo stories in the field and then come together with Tanya and Sebastián in Almaty to work to refine, edit and present their work.
We encourage all young Kazakhstani photographers with an interest documentary photography, photojournalism, visual journalism and visual storytelling to apply.
This program is also made possible through the generous support of Soros Foundation Kazakhstan, with additional support from Nikon Kazakhstan and through partnership with MediaNet.
This program is free of charge and includes daily lunch and a welcome dinner during the workshop in Almaty. For participants residing outside of Almaty, return travel and accommodation in Almaty is also covered.
- Basic experience in photography (especially photojournalism and documentary photography)
- English or Russian fluency (the workshop will be conducted in English with translation to Russian)
- Good technical understanding of your camera equipment
- Complete the Application Form, including your motivation (200 words maximum), relevant work experience (200 words maximum), relevant education experience (200 words maximum) & one to three photo story ideas (200 words maximum)
- The form will also prompt you to submit an image portfolio which must be submitted as a PDF and include the following:
- At least one photo story (minimum 8 images, maximum 20 images)
- No more than 8 single images (images which are not part of a photo story)
- All images should be accompanied by a short caption including the date the photo was made
- For any photo story, please include a title and short introduction
For questions please contact:
Soros Foundation Kazakhstan
Media Program Coordinator
Mob.: +7 8 771 990 7475
Tel.: +7 727 2503 811, 258 89 83 (#107)
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: