Synthetic Biology Future Science Platform PhD Scholarships
CSIRO invites applications for top-up PhD Scholarships in a number of priority topic areas for funding commencing in 2018.
The Postgraduate Scholarship Program at CSIRO provides enhanced opportunities in science and engineering for outstanding graduates enrolling each year at Australian tertiary institutions as full-time postgraduates for research leading to the award of a PhD. Students are co-supervised by researchers in an Australian university and CSIRO.
Top up PhD Scholarships are available to postgraduate students who have gained (or expect to gain), first class honours or equivalent in relevant research areas. They must also expect to receive a Research Training Program (RTP) or equivalent scholarship commencing in the year of the scholarship.
Synthetic Biology (SynBio) is the design and construction of biological parts, devices, and organisms (usually based on DNA-encoded componentry); and their application for useful purposes. To position Australia to build a vibrant synthetic biology research and development community to support the bio-based industries and ecoengineering activities of tomorrow, CSIRO has established the Synthetic Biology FSP (SynBioFSP). The SynBioFSP has a mission to develop capacity in synthetic biology within CSIRO and across Australia. The program has a $13 M funding envelope over the first three years.
Research areas: Proposed research projects from applicants applying for a Synthetic Biology FSP scholarship must align with one or more of the SynBioFSP’s Application Domains, and one or more of the Science Domains. For more information on the SynBioFSP please see our website at Synthetic Biology FSP.
For details of research areas and how to apply please see document - Synthetic Biology Future Science Platform Top-Up Scholarships
Scholarship: Top-up scholarships valued at $7,000 per year, plus a generous operating budget of $10,000 per annum
To be eligible to apply you must have (or expect to gain):
- first class honours or equivalent in a relevant research area;
- admission to an Australian University as a PhD student;
- a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or university equivalent awarded on a competitive basis; and
- all International applicants must have the appropriate immigration approvals to allow them to take up the scholarship
You must also have:
- a project which aligns with one or more of the SynBioFSP’s Application Domains, and one or more of the Science Domains
- a CSIRO supervisor who is willing to co-supervise you
- an university supervisor who is willing and able to co-supervise you
Applications will be assessed on:
- Quality and relevance of the student project
- Academic calibre of the student
- Availability of appropriate university supervision
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: