Long and short-term academic programs are available in Hungary across many universities and educational centers. International students and researchers may apply to BA, MA, Ph.D., and postdoctoral research programs in Hungary. Moreover, summer schools and conferences are other excellent academic activities that make Hungary an attractive destination for scholars and scientists. Many programs also come with fully-funded scholarships and fellowships as well as travel grants and financial aid, thus every student, researcher, and professor can always find a suitable program in Hungary and apply.
Scholarships in Hungary
- Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme
- Liszt Academy Scholarships for Applicants
- Scholarship for Christian Young People
- IBS Scholarships
- Szent Istvan University Dissertation Scholarship
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Hungary Scholarships
- Budapest Metropolitan University Scholarships and Grants
- Fulbright Hungary
Fellowships in Hungary
- Hungary Foundation Budapest Fellowship Program
- Hungarian Academy of Sciences Distinguished Guest Scientists Fellowship Programme
- DBU CEE Fellowship Program with Hungary
- International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians Provisional Chapter Hungary
- Donella Meadows Fellowship
- CEF Child Evangelism Fellowship
Grants & Awards in Hungary
- Hungarian Design Award
- Budapest Metropolitan University Grants
- Study in Hungary Grants Scholarship Program
- Museum of Applied Arts Grants & Projects
- Andersen Research and Development Incentives in Hungary
Summer Programs in Hungary
- AIFS Study Abroad in Budapest Hungary
- ELU Summer University
- Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Summer Program
- Balassi Summer University
- University of Veterinary Medicine Budapest Summer School
- University of Pecs Customized Summer and Winter Programs
- AIT-Budapest Summer Term
- Lions Youth Exchange Camp in Hungary
- University of Szeged Summer University
- People Team Summer Camp
Hungary welcomes international students with the rich academic culture of more than 60 universities and more than 500 academic programs. Besides, Hungary carries the rich culture, history, and architecture of Europe and hosts many music festivals and nightlife events. Together, all those opportunities make the studying experience of Hungary an appealing one for international students. Below, read more details of what options you can have in Hungary as a student.
Universities of Hungary
Main University towns in Hungary include Budapest, Debrecen, Miskolc, Szeged, Pécs, Eger, Győr, Veszprem. The national language is Hungarian. Though there are many academic programs in English, the predominant language of communication of locals is Hungarian. Therefore, learning at least the basics for everyday communication will be an advantage. Other than the Hungarian language, the country’s universities also offer programs for international students in French, German, etc.
Hungary has more than 65 universities of different scales, offering various programs. The country’s main two types of institutions, universities, and colleges, offer Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Ph.D. degree programs. That’s not common in many other countries, where colleges primarily provide associate or undergraduate degrees.
Another benefit of the Hungarian education system is that students can combine Bachelor’s and Master’s studies in a joint program. The main fields which offer such programs include architecture, veterinary medicine, dentistry, law, medicine, and pharmaceutics.
The first university of the country was founded in Pecs in 1367. The University of Pecs is the largest educational institution in the country, which hosts 20,000 students every day. According to Times Higher Education, it’s one of the best-ranked universities in the country. At Pecs University, you can study Business, Economics, Health Sciences, Engineering, IT, and other programs you can explore here.
The University of Pecs, together with others in Hungary, are included in the globally ranked universities. Enrolling in such universities, you can receive international-level knowledge at affordable prices, as Hungary is more affordable in terms of education fees than other countries in the region. According to the U.S. News, the best universities in Hungary include:
- Eotvos Lorand University
- Semmelweis University
- University of Debrecen
- University of Szeged
- Budapest University of Technology & Economics
- Central European University
Student expenses in Hungary
Accommodation expenses almost double based on where you reside and study. The capital Budapest is the most expensive city, where the accommodation costs are as follows:
- Dormitory: 129 $
- Shared flat: 204 $
- Private flat: 458 $
In less expensive cities like Debrecen, Szeged, Pecs, the accommodation is more affordable:
- Dormitory: 70-110 $
- Shared flat: 110-140 $
- Private flat: 250-320 $
Tuition costs also vary based on what you choose to study. While degrees like Engineering, Business Administration course fees vary around 1200-2500 $, Medicine faculties can reach up to 8500 $ per academic year. The main types of universities in Hungary are state-funded, church-funded, and privately funded. Students usually pay for education in private universities.
Work/Study opportunities can come in handy to support your studying and living costs in the country. There is only a requirement to have a registration card for working in Hungary for EEA citizens. They can work in the country without work hour limits.
Non-EEA students have limitations in working hours. They can combine 24 hours of weekly work with the studies and have a residence permit for study purposes.
Research opportunities in Hungary
You may pursue a research career in Hungary when engaged in university studies, participate in university-owned research institutions, or collaborate with external independent research institutions.
Hungary has 150 university research groups. The more popular university research centers of the country include the following.
- University Research and Innovation Centre (URIC) is in Óbuda University of Budapest and offers research directions in robotics, biotechnology, artificial intelligence, digital health, etc.
- János Szentágothai Research Centre of the University of Pécs mainly focuses on natural science directions such as bioinformatics, environmental analytics, geoanalytics, etc.
- Research Centre of Vehicle Industry in Gyor’s Széchenyi István University specializes in research areas that can contribute to sustainable mobility, such as electric and hybrid vehicles, and testing and measurement of vehicle drivers.
In case you have information gaps about your international studies in Hungary, the main informative platform about the country’s higher education system can come in very handy. You can get familiar with the A-Z experience of your studies in Hungary, starting from visa applications to Ph.D. and independent research opportunities. Hungary is one of the countries which are not very popular nowadays as an international academic destination. However, it holds promises to become a quality education hub for the continuous improvements of education and its universities' inclusion in the global rankings. We hope this section of ARMACAD will help you enjoy your education in Hungary to the fullest.