Call for Applications
The Institute for Advanced Study at CEU (IAS CEU) is pleased to invite applications for its core junior and senior fellowship programs for the academic year 2019/20. Fellowships are available in all research areas of the social sciences and humanities, broadly defined. Fellowships run for the full 9-month period (Oct-June), for the 3-month short fall semester (October-December), the 5-month fall semester (Oct-February) or the 6-month spring semester (Jan-June).
Each year, IAS CEU selects for this program some 15 fellows from an average of over 400 applicants. Fellows are chosen by a rigorous selection process, which includes stages of pre-selection and peer reviews as well as a final decision made by an independent, interdisciplinary and international Academic Advisory Board. The Institute is committed to the pursuit of cutting edge interdisciplinary scholarship and will seek innovative research proposals. Young scholars with demonstrable promise of excellence will be considered; established senior scholars are expected to have solid records of first rate scholarship. A primary criterion for selection is the expectation that each fellow’s stay at the Institute will yield original and significant research results.
IAS CEU is a university-based institute for advanced study. It provides a stimulating environment in which fellows can devote themselves to research and share their work with peers through weekly seminars and other community programs. Fellows have access to all CEU facilities, including seminar and conference space, computer services, and library resources. They benefit from CEU’s vibrant international atmosphere, its strong ties in the region of Central and Eastern Europe and its location right in the center of Budapest. IAS CEU facilitates the fellows’ engagement with CEU and the Hungarian, regional and international scholarly community by encouraging collaborative projects, organizing joint public lectures and related activities.
Scholars at IAS CEU receive accommodation in the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse and a monthly stipend. Fellows are expected to reside in Budapest during their fellowship year, participate in the intellectual life of the Institute and pursue their research agenda.
Eligibility, qualifications, experience
Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application.
- Only those with publications in internationally recognized scholarly outlets will be considered.
- Junior fellows must have obtained a Ph.D. degree issued in 2011 or later and must apply for the junior fellowship. Candidates who obtained their Ph.D. before 2011 are considered “senior” and must apply for the senior fellowship.
- Full time CEU employees and students are not eligible to apply for 5 years after the ending of their studies/contract (degrees must have been received and contracts must have ended by December 31, 2013 or earlier).
- Part time/temporary employees of CEU are not eligible for 1 year after their contract ended (their contract must have ended by December 31, 2017 or earlier).
- Former fellows of IAS CEU or former Collegium Budapest are not eligible to apply until a period of 7 years has passed since their previous fellowship. Applications may be considered only in exceptional cases.
- Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and CEU.
Terms and conditions
Senior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 2,600 Euros and junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 1,500 Euros to help support their stay in Budapest. In addition, all fellows and their families receive housing at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse . Utilities at the Guesthouse will be charged to the Fellows. Fellows are also responsible for their own travel and health care provisions.
How to apply?
The deadline for application is October 5, 2018.
All applications must be submitted through in our online application system with application files sent in e-mail. This year’s application form will be open starting from 4 July 2018.
Step 1: Go to the Application Form for the Academic Year 2019/20 at the IAS CEU website, and fill in all your data as required.
Please note that you cannot save your work and continue filling in the form at a later time, so you are asked to submit your application when you have all information and materials ready!Incomplete forms, or applications submitted in any other way than what is described in this Call will not be considered.
Step 2: Create a single pdf file no larger than 12 MBs containing all your application package and send it to the IAS_applications@ceu.edu e-mail address. The name of the pdf file and the subject of your e-mail should contain your name and the type of fellowship you are applying to. (Example: “Application John Smith – Core Junior Fellowship”)
Please note that incomplete applications, when either the webform is not filled in or the pdf application package is not sent, will not be considered. You will receive a confirmation of receipt of your application package shortly from IAS.
Your application package that you should send in pdf should contain the following documents:
- A letter of intent (max 1,500 words)
- The abstract of your research project (max. 150 words)
- A description of your research project (min. 1,000 - max. 2,500 words; the reference list is not included in the word count)
- A CV including a list of up to 5 (in case of junior applicants) and up to 15 (in the case of senior applicants) of your most important publications. For junior applicants ONLY: the name and email address of two referees (for potential reference).
Please also note that if you wish to apply for more than one fellowship type, you should fill in and send a separate application for each (choosing the relevant category each time in “Fellowship type”)
All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. (CET) on October 5, 2018.
Applicants will be notified when their applications have been received. Successful candidates will be informed between February and March 2019. All others will be notified of the result of the evaluation process by the end of March 2019 the latest. We will not share reviews with the applicants.
CEU is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.