Call for Applications
The Institute for Advanced Study at Central European University in Budapest (IAS CEU) are pleased to invite applications for the Fritz Thyssen Junior research fellowships for the academic year 2019/2020. Fellowships are available in all research areas of the social sciences and humanities. Fellowships run for the whole academic year (10 months, September 1- June 30) or for the Fall or Winter semesters (6 months, Sept 1 to Feb 28 or Jan 1 to June 30). Junior fellowships are renewable for another year in exceptional cases and only after an external review process.
Fellows are chosen by a rigorous selection process, which includes stages of pre-selection and peer reviews as well as a final decision made by an independent, interdisciplinary and international Academic Advisory Board. The Institute is committed to the pursuit of cutting edge interdisciplinary scholarship and will seek innovative research proposals. Young scholars with demonstrable promise of excellence will be considered. A primary criterion for selection is the expectation that each fellow’s stay at the Institute will yield original and significant research results.
IAS CEU provides a stimulating environment in which the fellows can devote themselves to their research and share their work with peers through weekly seminars and other community programs. Fellows have access to all CEU facilities, including seminar and conference space, computer services, and library resources. They also benefit from CEU’s vibrant international atmosphere, its strong ties in the CEE region and its location in culturally rich Budapest. IAS CEU facilitates the fellows’ engagement with CEU and the Hungarian scholarly community by encouraging collaborative projects, organizing joint public lectures, establishing student mentorship programs, and related activities.
Scholars at IAS CEU receive accommodation in the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse and a monthly stipend. Fellows must reside in Budapest during their fellowship year, participate in the intellectual life of the Institute and pursue their research agenda.
Qualifications, experience, eligibility
Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application.
- Only those with publications in internationally recognized scholarly outlets are encouraged to apply.
- All nationalities are encouraged to apply for this type of fellowship. We have no thematic restrictions (other than expecting proposals in the social sciences and humanities only).
- Full time CEU employees and students are not eligible to apply for 5 years after the ending of their studies/contract (degrees must be received and contracts must have ended by December 31, 2013 or earlier).
- Part time/temporary employees of CEU are not eligible for 1 year after their contract ended (their contract must have ended by December 31, 2017 or earlier).
- Former fellows of IAS CEU or former Collegium Budapest are not eligible to apply until a period of 7 years has passed since their previous fellowship. Applications may be considered only in exceptional cases.
- Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and CEU.
Terms and conditions
Junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 2,000 Euros to help support their stay in Budapest. In addition, all fellows and their families receive housing at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse. Utilities at the Guesthouse will be charged to the fellows.
How to apply
The deadline for application is October 5, 2018.
All applications must be submitted through in our online application system with application files sent in e-mail. This year’s application form will be open starting from 4 July 2018.
Step 1: Go to the Application Form for the Academic Year 2019/20 at the IAS CEU website, and fill in all your data as required.
Please note that you cannot save your work and continue filling in the form at a later time, so you are asked to submit your application when you have all information and materials ready!Incomplete forms, or applications submitted in any other way than what is described in this Call will not be considered.
Step 2: Create a single pdf file no larger than 12 MBs containing all your application package and send it to the IAS_applications@ceu.edu e-mail address. The name of the pdf file and the subject of your e-mail should contain your name and the type of fellowship you are applying to. (Example: “Application John Smith – Core Junior Fellowship”)
Please note that incomplete applications, when either the webform is not filled in or the pdf application package is not sent, will not be considered. You will receive a confirmation of receipt of your application package shortly from IAS.
Your application package that you should send in pdf should contain the following documents:
- A letter of intent (max 1,500 words)
- The abstract of your research project (max. 150 words)
- The description of your research project (min. 1,000 – max. 2,500 words)
- A 10-15 page description of your research project, which includes a discussion on the state of your research (including references to publications if these exist already), research outline, theories and methods (including short bibliography), time schedule and work plan
- A CV including a list of up to 5 of your most important publications. Please also include the name and email address of two referees (for potential reference).
Please also note that if you wish to apply for more than one fellowship type, you should fill in and send a separate application for each (choosing the relevant category each time in “Fellowship type”)
All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. (CET) on October 5, 2018.
Applicants will be notified when their applications have been received. Successful candidates will be informed between February and March 2019. All others will be notified of the result of the evaluation process by the end of March 2019 the latest. We will not share reviews with the applicants.
CEU is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.