Amgen Scholars Program, Japan
Every year, the Amgen Scholars Japan Program provides selected undergraduate students with the opportunity to engage in a hands-on research experience at two premier Japanese universities. The Amgen Foundation has committed more than $50 million over twelve years to the global Amgen Scholars Program to make this opportunity possible for thousands of students.
Inspiring the Scientists of Tomorrow
As Amgen Scholars, students will have the opportunity to:
• Take part in important institution research projects, gain hands-on lab experience and contribute to the advancement of science;
• Interact with and receive guidance from faculty mentors, including some of Japan’s top academic scientists; and
• Participate in engaging scientific seminars, workshops and other networking events.
The Amgen Scholars Japan Symposium
A signature component of the summer program is a symposium where students hear firsthand from leading scientists working in industry and academia. The Japan symposium is held in Tokyo, and provides students with a valuable opportunity to discuss their research and network with other Amgen Scholars from across Japan.
Japan Program applicants must also have:
• A strong record of academic performance; and
• A good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 79, or IELTS overall band score of 6.0, or the equivalent in principle; and
• An interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
* Note that undergraduate students enrolled in colleges or universities with a three-year bachelor degree program must have completed at least two semesters of their studies prior to participating in the Program.
Each of the two Japanese host institutions has its own application process, but the application deadline for both institutions is in early February.
For questions related to the Japan Program, please contact the two participating host institutions:
Kyoto University • +81-75-753-2205 • firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Tokyo • +81-3-5841-0297 • email@example.com
Amgen Scholars is an international program funded by the Amgen Foundation with direction and technical assistance provided by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Cambridge. The Amgen Foundation seeks to advance excellence in science education to inspire the next generation of innovators, and invest in strengthening communities where Amgen staff members live and work. To date, the Foundation has donated over $200 million to local, regional, and international nonprofit organizations that impact society in inspiring and innovative ways. It has also supported disaster relief efforts both domestically and internationally. Follow us on twitter.com/amgenfoundation. To learn more about the Amgen Foundation, visit the Responsibility section of amgen.com.