25th San Diego Latino Film Festival (March 15-25, 2018)
International Poster Competition
Submit your poster design for a chance to be a part of our history!
The San Diego Latino Film Festival (SDLFF) turns 25! We invite *design professionals, artists,and students* from all over the world to produce a commemorative poster design that will represent the history and legacy of the SDLFF.
SDLFF was born out of a desire to take a stand against the status-quo of cinema, to challenge the reigning and ever-present stereotypes about the Latino experience in movies, and to give Latino filmmakers the power of telling and sharing their stories, first-hand, about what it means to be Latino.
Who can participate?
This is an international competition, it is open to designers of all professional levels.
There is no entry fee.
A panel of distinguished judges (composed of artists, graphic designers, and art educators) will vote on the winning poster and finalists.
Top Prize: $1,000.00 dollars and promotional exposure in ALL marketing festival related marketing materials
10 Finalists – 2 tickets to the 24th San Diego Latino Film Festival (March 15-25, 2018) & limited promotional exposure!
When developing you artwork, please keep in mind that your poster design will be judged according to the following criteria:
- 1. Clarity and originality of message
- Our judges will be looking for innovative and creative designs that illustrates San Diego Latino Film Festival’s tradition, as well as its joyful, forward-thinking and inclusive values.
- 2. Impact, memorability, and appeal to general audiences:
- Poster design must appeal to general audiences & corporate Sponsors (ALL age groups & gender).
- Poster must NOT include: nudity, weapons, offensive imagery, and derogatory text. We expect artists to exercise their best judgement in making creative decisions.
- 3. Unique, positive, and non-stereotypical representation of Latino Culture
- Important: Your artwork must be FREE of any generalizations about the Latino culture. This includes but is not limited to: stereotypical imagery, icons specific to one country, and uninspired stock visuals.
- Icons that may NOT be represented in the design include: chiles, nachos, skulls, papel picado, piñatas, cactuses, sombreros, etc.
- 4. Design (type, color, composition, craft)
- Keep in mind this is our 25th SPECIAL EDITION.
- Your poster design must contain the festival name (San Diego Latino Film Festival) and, in celebration of the 25th Anniversary, the number “25” may be featured prominently.
- Colorful designs are prefered. The number “25” may or may not be silver.
5. Versatility for application on other media
- Your poster design must be functional – Your design will be used in advertisements, catalogue, website and other marketing materials.
- Computer graphics, as well as paintings, may be used to compose the design.
- Format: JPEG, 18″ wide x 24″high, 150 DPI (RGB), 4 MB
If you make it past the preliminary round of entries, you’re also required to submit your artwork in Digital Format, 11” wide x17” high at 300 DPI (CMYK).
- Artwork must include a brief description of your artwork.
Media Arts Center’s San Diego Latino Film Festival shall have an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free, worldwide licence to use, copy, exhibit, publicly display and distribute their submitted entry for any activity, reproduce and distribute to third parties that are associated or sponsored activities. Artists will retain all rights to their original posters art.
For more information, please email: email@example.com or call 619-230-1938.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.