V International Academic Conference “Jews in the Ethnic Mosaic of Ukrainian Lands”
16-18 August 2021, Melitopol, Ukraine
- Center for Interethnic Relations Research in Eastern Europe (Ukraine);
- Department of History and Archeology, Bohdan Khmelnytsky Melitopol State Pedagogical University (Ukraine);
- Center for Governance and Culture in Europe, University of St. Gallen (Switzerland);
- Leonid Nevzlin Research Center for Russian and East European Jewry at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Israel).
The organizers invite scholars of Jewish history and culture on the Ukrainian lands in pre-modern and modern periods, as well as contemporary Jewish communities to apply for the conference. Applications from Ph.D. students are welcome.
Traditionally, the conference is a platform for discussions among scholars of Jewish studies and related disciplines. An important topic for discussion this year will be the history of the Jews of the lower Dnipro River, the Azov and Black Sea regions, and the Crimean Peninsula.
The conference focuses on but is not limited to the following topics:
- Early modern and modern Jewish communities in East-Central Europe;
- Religious life, culture, and language of Jews in East-Central Europe;
- Relations between Jews and Ukrainians and other surrounding communities;
- “Out of the Ghetto”: integration/emancipation of Jewish communities into imperial societies;
- Mobility and migration of the Jewish population;
- Ukrainian Jews in times of wars and revolutions;
- Modern political life and role of Jews in national projects of East-Central Europe, Jewish politics and Zionism;
- Relations of Ashkenazi Jews with Karaites, Krymchaks, and Subbotniks;
- Political, identity, and cultural choices of Jews in interwar East-Central Europe;
- World War II and the Holocaust;
- Jews in postwar East-Central Europe;
- Jews in independent Ukraine and diasporas;
- Methods and approaches to the Jewish history of Ukrainian lands.
To participate in the conference, please submit the following documents to email@example.com by 25 June 2021:
- Curriculum vitae (up to 3 pages);
- Abstract of the paper (200-300 words);
- Motivation letter (up to 1 page).
The results of applications consideration will be communicated by the end of June 2021. The organizers provide accommodation and meals for conference participants. Organizers also might be able to cover travel costs. If participants need to reimburse travel expenses, they need to notify the organizers in advance.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.