What are the origins of the world? How can we achieve happiness? What is the best form of government? Is democracy good? These are only some of the questions which ancient philosophers tried to answer more than 2,500 years ago. Their bold and unprecedented enterprise prompted an intellectual revolution, the relevance of which has not since faded. The Summer School in Ancient Philosophy aims to follow the steps of the ancient philosophers in their enquiries on the world and human life, and explore their continuing importance today.
The Summer School offers a five-day programme covering the major themes and thinkers of Ancient Philosophy. There will be four classes each day, between 10:30 am. and 3.30pm. Given the online setting of the course, times may be subject to modifications which will be communicated in advance. Students will have access to a variety of online material before and throughout the course. The fee is £130. The course is not residential. Bursaries may be available for certain categories of students.
Students will be assigned to teaching groups of normally not more than 15-20 people. Groups will comprise students with similar levels of knowledge of the subject. Classes will consist of lectures, close reading of texts, and debates and will touch on a variety of themes, including ethics, metaphysics, and theories of knowledge. Texts will be studied in translation, though some classes will be offered in the original language. The style of teaching is friendly, but demanding. Students are expected to actively participate in classes, and they will be invited to discuss and critically engage with texts along with other students and teachers. Our tutors include some of the most talented and passionate teachers of ancient philosophy in the London area and beyond.
- INTRODUCTION TO ANCIENT PHILOSOPHY
- WHAT IS HAPPINESS? ANCIENT ETHICAL THEORIES
- ROMAN PHILOSOPHY
- MYSTERY, SCIENCE AND THE DIVINE
- BRINGING ORDER TO CHAOS: The Origin and Nature of the World in Plato’s Timaeus
- WORLD PHILOSOPHY: India and Europe - Dialogue, Difference, Decolonisation
- BEGINNER'S GREEK WITH PLATO
- A WEEK WITH PLATO
- A WEEK WITH ARISTOTLE
- EARLY GREEK PHILOSOPHY
- ANCIENT GREEK PHILOSOPHY IN CONVERSATION WITH MODERN COSMOLOGY
- The full programme for the Summer School in Ancient Philosophy is currently under construction and will be available on this page as soon as possible
- The cost of the Summer School is £130 and you can pay via UCL's online store. This includes all tuition, but not accommodation or travel expenses.
Please email the Summer School. Completed application forms should be emailed to the Director, Dr Nicolò Benzi.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.