Summer School on Education: The Future of School
In many countries, we witness various innovations in education. Student-centered education, change of focus from memorizing towards understanding, inquiry-based instruction, and other developments are can be witnessed in more and more schools. It seems there is also being accumulated more evidence that these approaches actually work better than still prevailing approach which was launched after the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century and which has been used since then. However, the overall systemic change is dragging its feet as it is challenging the traditional methods of teaching and learning, i.e. methods that have been taken for granted for a very long time.
The Summer School invites students to discuss the current issues and potential new approaches to education with academics, researchers, professionals, as well as with fellow students of various academic and cultural backgrounds.
Surrounded by the beauty of Prague, we will exchange ideas and seek answers to the questions:
- What is the main purpose of education in the modern world?
- What are the main characteristics of the modern approach to education?
- What is the role of the teacher in modern educational system?
- What skills are to be taught in today’s rapidly changing world?
- How can schools adapt to the rapid technological advances, structural changes of the economy and shakeups of political and social systems?
- To gain a critical perspective on how the future of education should develop
- To further engage in the academic debate on how should the modern education system look like and what would its main characteristics be
- To meet new friends from different parts of the world and explore the magnificence of Prague, one of the most beautiful cultural and historical capitals in Europe
Although there are application deadlines, students are accepted on rolling basis. In order to allow time to carefully review all student application materials, an e-mail notifying the application status to Prague Summer Schools will be sent to applicants approximately 14 days after the application is received. Applications received by the early bird application deadline of January 31st will receive preference in admission decisions. Late applications may be considered. However, late applicants run the risk of finding the program full. All students will be informed about admissions decisions by April 1. Participants will be selected according to the following three criteria:
- Educational Background (Year, Grade Point Average and Area of Study)
- Statement of Purpose
- Level of English (if applicable)
The program fee for early-bird applications: 740 EUR
The program fee for students who submit their applications after January 31st: 790 EUR
The program fee covers:
- Tuition and reading materials
- Accommodation in double rooms for one week
- Half board which includes breakfasts, dinners and coffee breaks
- Prague public transportation tickets and maps
- Site visits, social program, and cultural and special events (e.g. boat tour on the Moldau River, tours of Prague by a local homeless and farewell dinner).
Students are responsible for their travel to Prague, lunches and personal expenses.
For more information click ''LINK TO ORIGINAL'' below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: