The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research (CBMR) is seeking a PhD Fellow for a 3 years position.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research was established at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, to conduct fundamental research on metabolism. The Clemmensen Lab is recruiting a PhD fellow with a passion for understanding the neurobiology of feeding. The fellow will work in a collaborative and interdisciplinary environment with international project collaborators and engaged advisors.
As an applicant you must have:
- Obtained a Master’s degree in molecular biology, neuroscience, pharmaceutical sciences, or related areas prior to the starting date
- Certified to work with experimental animals
- Fluency in English and excellent written and oral communication skills
Candidates experienced with electrophysiology, ligand-gated ion channels, and neuroscience will be preferred.
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow at the Faculty are to:
- Carry through an independent research project under supervision
- Write scientific articles and the PhD thesis on the grounds of your research project
- Complete PhD courses or other equivalent education corresponding to approx. 30 ECTS points
- Obtain experience with teaching or other types of dissemination related to your PhD project
- Participate in the undergraduate teaching of students in pharmaceutical sciences
- Participate in national and international congresses and scientific meetings
- Stay at an external research institution, preferably abroad
Key criteria for the assessment of applicants
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD programme
- Relevant work experience
- Previous publications
- The grade point average achieved
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
The holder of the position will report to Associcate Professor Christoffer Clemmensen. The holder of the position must be able to interact with staff at all levels, both internally and externally, regarding relevant research topics.
The position is offered for a period of three years and employment is governed by the Protocol on PhD Research Fellows signed by the Danish Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations). The successful candidate must apply for enrolment as a PhD student at the SUND Graduate School. Employment as a PhD fellow will be conditional on successful enrolment in the PhD program. The starting salary for candidates with an MSc degree will be a minimum of DKK 312,800 (April 2017 level) plus pension contribution, with the possibility of salary negotiation.
Starting date is October 2018 or as soon as possible hereafter.
How to apply?
- The application must be submitted in English by clicking “Apply online” below and must include the following:
- Letter of motivation (max 1 page)
- CV with contact details of two references, without list of publications (max 2 pages) Complete list of publications (only published or accepted publications in peer reviewed journals).
The deadline for applications is 12 August 2017 at 23:59 CET
Any applications received after this time will not be considered. We only accept online applications.
In addition to the above material, the Assessment Committee may include further material in their assessment of the applicants. In such circumstances, it is the responsibility of the applicant, on request, to send the material to the Committee. Receipt of the applications will be acknowledged. The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no. 284 of April 25th 2008.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment by an expert assessment committee. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself.
Highly motivated and ambitious candidates are encouraged to apply. Solid experience and an excellent track record gained in leading laboratories in the research field will be considered a distinct advantage. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration, and thus we encourage all - regardless of their personal background and status - to apply.