Summer School - Educating for a Sustainable Environment
Venue and Date
From 1 to 11 of July 2018. Provinces which will host the event: Alborz, Tehran, Semnan, Golestan and Mazandaran
Main organizers: University of Tehran and Western Asian Desert Institute (WADI) Co-operation: Sabzgaman Beski NGO
No tuition fees! Organizers will cover accommodation, all-day meals, refreshments and coffee breaks, 7 days tours (desert, mountain, forest and aquatic ecosystems of Iran), delegate pack (bag, notebook, pen, gifts and souvenirs), cultural programs and visits to historical monuments. Applicants should cover international airfares from/to their home country to/from Tehran, the transfer from the airport to the accommodation place, visa fees and insurance (if needed).
Visitors to Iran must obtain a visa from one of the Iranian diplomatic missions unless they come from one of the visa exempt countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bolivia, Egypt, Georgia, Lebanon, Malaysia, Serbia, Syria, Turkey and Venezuela). All visitors must hold a passport valid for at least 6 month. Upon announcement of selected applicants, organizing team will start visa process for selected applicants. The process to get a Visa Reference Number from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Iran takes at least 2 weeks. In the next step selected applicants should go in person to nearest Iranian embassy/consulate to get their visa. Although Iranian Visa on Arrival is available for citizens of 181 countries, but this visa is only for tourism and not for attending a professional event. According to previous experiences all participants are recommended to get their visa in advance and before coming to the country. There is no guarantee that foreigners can get a visa on arrival!
Organizers will provide accommodation is a shared-basis system without cost during the days of the event. 3 meals per day and also refreshments will be provided free of charge. Please note that the arrival date is 30 of June 2018 and departure date is 12 July 2018. Those applicants who arrive before 30 June 2018 or want to stay longer after 12 July 2018, this is their responsibility to cover accommodation and food costs. Organizers will publish a list of hotels and hostels with discounted rates.
Applicants should cover international airfares from/to their home country to/from Tehran. Because of a very limited budget, the program is unable to cover international transfers. Transfer from/to Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport to/from accommodation place should be covered by the participants. Selected applicants will receive a guide about how to reach the accommodation place from the airport by public and private transport systems. Visa fees should be covered by the applicants. Please contact with the nearest Iranian embassy/consulate to ask about the visa costs, because it varies based on bilateral diplomatic agreements. Applicants also should cover insurance if needed.
The summer school consists of lectures, team working, walking tours, sport and cultural programs and also sightseeing excursions to natural and historical sites. There will be an exam to evaluate your learning from the summer school. Applicants will receive a certificate containing names of the lectures and also the grade of the exam.
Participants are expected to attend all lectures for the full duration of the program, participate fully in a group project, and fulfill all related assignments and deadlines. You should expect to spend some amount of time working on your group projects outside of the scheduled sessions. Participants who do not meet these requirements may be asked to leave the program at the discretion of the directors. Dress is casual at all times except at the opening ceremony which is formal.
Benefits of Participation
- Access to lectures by prominent international scholars and professionals, interactive discussions, simulations, and site visits
- Opportunity to explore Iranian culture and nature through immersive activities
- Opportunity to interact with people from diverse nationality and cultural backgrounds
- Participants will be accommodated during the program for free
- Full-board meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and coffee breaks during the program without cost
- Visa Reference Number (if needed)
- Free guided tours to Tehran, Karaj, Semnan, Damghan, Shahroud, Gorgan, Behshahr, Babol, Nowshahr
- 2 nights stay at Golestan National Park
- 2 night stay at Nowshahr Forest
- Green Activities (Tree Planting, …)
- Free Walking tours in Soleymanieh Palace, Botanical Garden and Zoological Museum
- Free Access to sport facilities (pool, gym, football pitch, …)
- Gifts and Souvenirs
- Young professionals and students of any nationality are eligible to apply
- Age 20 to 35 years old
- Able to communicate in English
- Interested in sustainable development and/or the environment, ecosystem management, and related topics
Steps to apply for the summer school:
- Fill the application form
- Selected applicants will be notified via email up to 25 May 2018. List of selected applicants will be published also in the website and also in the social medias.
- Selected applicants will be requested to confirm their participation up to 30 May 2018 and send requested details for visa process (if needed).
- Organizing team will start visa process to get a Visa Reference Number (VRN) and it will be issued up to 14 June 2018. Applicants who their VRN is approved should send their flight tickets up to 17 June 2018. Applicants will be able to get their visa from Iranian embassies/consulates with issued VRN.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.