Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists 2018
Promoting the work and advancing the role of women in the news media across the globe is critical to transparency and a diversity of voices.
The Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists, the first funding initiative of its kind, enables the IWMF to dramatically expand its support of women journalists. Established with a $4 million gift from the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, the Fund will support projects including educational opportunities, investigative reporting and media development initiatives.
Funding rounds will open for applications two times each year; applications take approximately 8 weeks to process. Applicants may apply for concurrently for Reporting Grants for Women’s Stories and the Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists.The first round of funding for 2018 will be open for online applications from January 23, 2018 - March 9, 2018 11:59 pm EST.
The fund was designed to help women journalists by providing grantees support to:
- Expose under-reported but critical global issues
- Undertake ambitious projects that challenge traditional media narratives
- Develop field-based expertise and strengthen careers
- Pursue training and leadership opportunities
- Launch entrepreneurial news projects or acquire the skill to do so
- Woman-identifying journalists from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
- Professional Journalism must be the applicant’s primary profession.
- Applicants must have three or more years of professional journalism experience.
- Teams of journalists may apply, however the submission must be from a woman journalist and her team must include at least 50% women.
Please note: All answers and documents must be in English. Due to the high volume of applications IWMF cannot answer questions by phone. Please review the application guide and frequently asked questions on website prior to beginning this application. Letters of support or recommendation will not be accepted with the initial submission.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.