Call for Applications: Exploratory Workshops “Mobility – Knowledge – Society”
The Forum Transregionale Studien and the Max Weber Stiftung – Deutsche Geisteswissenschaftliche Institute in Ausland (MWS) invite scholars to explore their research questions and develop projects within the framework of Exploratory Workshops. Center offers open and flexible formats and strong scholarly networks as well as support in conceptual development and funding while taking care of all practical organization.
Explorative Workshops provide a team of 15–20 scholars with diverse regional expertise an intensive small-scale setting to probe and generate ideas and research questions. Workshops that address issues from a transregional perspective and combine a systematic problem-oriented approach with an engagement of area-based competencies are supported. For a successful application, acknowledged expertise in at least one discipline and world region is required from the applicant. Furthermore, this expertise should draw connections to other disciplines and regions to discuss as well as reflect on multipolar entanglements. In the academic year, 2018–19, the joint project of the Forum and the MWS is focusing on the thematic field ‘Mobility – Knowledge – Society’. Therefore Center is looking forward to applicants who approach this thematic complex by using various disciplines and regions. The submitted projects need to have an interdisciplinary approach and examine innovative questions, which might have the potential for developing follow-up projects.
- Please submit a proposal for a workshop (max. 1500 words) while explaining the originality of your project, how it relates to the transregional research agenda of the Forum Transregionale Studien and the MWS, and how it meets the criteria mentioned above. Applicants will be notified of the results by the end of April 2018.
- Upon acceptance of your application, you will be invited to co-develop the event. The Forum provides full financial and organizational support but also welcomes projects that involve matching funding and institutional collaboration. Workshops should preferably take place on the Forum premises in Berlin.
- The Forum and MWS pursue an Open Access publication strategy and offer a scholarly publication platform and other digital channels for dissemination of the discussions and results of workshops.
- The organizers of the Workshops must submit an evaluation report within one month of the event’s completion.
- Applicants are advised to consult the Forum website and the TRAFO-Blog for information regarding the formats of past Exploratory Workshops.
Applicants must hold a doctoral degree in the field of social sciences or humanities and be currently affiliated with a German university or research institute (including German institutes abroad). The call for applications is depending on the provision of funding. Applying together with one or several colleagues is possible – though at least one applicant must be affiliated with a German university or German research institute in Germany (which can also be located abroad)
This opportunity has expired. It was originally available here:
but the link is no more active