ORMS FULL-TIME PROGRAMME IN PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY
Orms Cape Town School of Photography is seeking applicants for the 2018 February intake of our full-time programme in professional photography. The programme is structured to develop technically refined and creative photographers, who can explore and define their goals, situate their work within a broader and meaningful context and establish a solid foundation from which to build their careers.
Coursework will consist of weekly assignments, group critiques, class discussions, practical exercises, tutorials and individual mentoring sessions. Students are encouraged to be experimental with their project assignments, rigorous in their research and exploration, and professional in their conduct.
The scholarship includes all course fees but excludes printing and exhibition work. The scholarship students will receive a 40% discount at Orms Print. There is also an opportunity for students to do part-time work at the school to offset the printing cost. (In general, one hours work is enough to cover a months’ worth of printing necessary for the course.)
The Award carries a monetary value of R100 000. There is one scholarship available
If you have any questions regarding the scholarship, please email Bryce@ormsctsp.co.za
Starting 22 January – 5 December 2018
5 days per week from 09:00 – 17:00
The application deadline for written applications or nomination is 10 December 2017.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
WHO CAN APPLY
- – Orms Cape Town School of Photography are looking for photographers who want to develop their interest and skills in photography and should not be afraid to explore.
- – You must have passed matric with higher certificate clearance. Exceptions will be made for students older than 23 years of age with work experience.
- – Preference will be given to those from a previous disadvantage background
- – You must reside in Cape Town or surrounds
– The student will need access to a DSLR camera for the duration of the course. The school will provide assistance with additional gear.
– Certified copies of the applicant’s ID document, Certified copy of study permit (if applicant is non-South African)
– You are not required to pay any application fee for your scholarship application.
– Please submit the following 3 requirements via Wetransfer to email@example.com
1) Portfolio Assignment No 1: THREE PHOTOGRAPHS – The Self Portrait
Produce three very different self-portraits. Consider the whole frame of each picture before shooting, be sure to only include that which is related to the idea you would like to explore.
– Selfies are not permissible
– Clearly caption this assignment with your name, surname and the title of this project: The Self Portrait.
– Number your photographs 1 – 3
2) Portfolio Assignment No 2: NINE PHOTOGRAPHS
Photograph three different people. You can direct your subjects carefully, to make planned and deliberate photographs, or photograph them as they are at work, play, relaxing etc. The person should be aware that you are photographing them, and it would be good if they know what you are trying to accomplish with the photographs. Your images should introduce the viewer to the person you are photographing and attempt to reveal something of their character or situation.
Photograph three different places. These places might be indoors or out in the open. It may be an inhabited home or part of the city, or it may be a natural space such as a beach or forest. It can even be a commercial space such as a factory or market. Your images should give the viewer an impression of what it feels like to be in that place.
Photograph three different objects. These objects should be small enough to fit in a shoe-box. Characteristics that may make your objects interesting to photograph might
3) A letter of motivation (250 – 500 words) explaining why you would like to study photography.
Shortlisted students will be interviewed telephonically.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.