Application deadline: December 21, 2017
Residency periods: Spring/Fall 2018; Spring/Fall 2019
Fogo Island Arts is seeking applications for its international residency program from artists working in a wide range of disciplines. Residencies will take place in Spring and Fall 2018 and 2019.
Fogo Island Arts residencies provide opportunities for artists to live and work on Fogo Island for one to two months. Artists-in-residence are provided with a studio, accommodation in a traditional Newfoundland home, a vehicle for on-island use, and a weekly stipend to offset the costs of materials and day-to-day living expenses. Most travel expenses are covered. Artists-in-residence must give one public presentation, performance, workshop, or similar event during their residency.
FIA residencies are intended for professional contemporary artists with specialized training, recognition among their peers, and a history of public presentation of their work in a professional context.
Applications are welcome from Canadian and international contemporary artists working in a wide range of disciplines including visual art, film, arts writing, music/sound, curating, design, and theory.
The residencies will take place for periods of one to two months in either April-June 2018, October-November 2018, May-June 2019 or October-November 2019.
Applications should take into account the unique circumstances under which Fogo Island Arts carries out its programs. Applicants should also keep in mind that this residency takes place on a remote island with limited amenities.
Due to the limited size of our studios and houses, applications are not accepted from collaborative groups with more than two members. All residency costs (travel budget, stipend, etc.) will be shared between members.
Successful candidates should have a valid driver’s license, and will be responsible for acquiring the necessary visa if coming from a foreign country.
2018: April 15 to June 15; October 1 to November 30
2019: May 1 to June 30; October 1 to November 30
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted using the SlideRoom online portal. Step-by-step application instructions are available on the portal. There is a non-refundable administrative fee of $20 per application, payable through SlideRoom.
Applicants will be asked to complete:
- Application form
- Project proposal and a brief description of the applicant’s practice (500 words maximum)
- Short biography (150 words maximum)
- Detailed curriculum vitae (4 pages maximum)
- One reference letter from a professional in the applicant’s field. The letter should outline why the applicant should be selected and how they might benefit from a residency with Fogo Island Arts. The referee will receive an email asking them to upload their letter of recommendation directly to SlideRoom.
And, where relevant provide:
- 10 images (maximum) in JPEG format, with relevant caption information included
- 2 videos or links (maximum) for film, video or audio submissions
- 3 samples of published work (20 pages total maximum)
The application deadline is December 21, 2017 at 11:59 pm Newfoundland Standard Time.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.