YIDFF 2017 Schedule
The fifteenth Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival will be held on:
October 5 (Thu) –12 (Thu), 2017
Call for entries for two competitions of the YIDFF 2017 just opened! We greatly look forward to receiving your creative works.
Entry Deadlines (postmarked)
- First Deadline: December 15, 2016 (for works completed by October 31, 2016)
- Second Deadline: April 15, 2017 (for works completed after November 1, 2016)
- New Asian Currents: May 15, 2017
- International Competition: 15 outstanding films selected from entries from around the world.
- New Asian Currents: Introducing up-and-coming Asian documentary filmmakers.
- Special Programs
1. Outline - Open competition
Everyone is welcome to submit their work, provided that the following conditions are met:
- Producers intend that the work is a documentary.
- The final form of the work is 16mm or 35mm film print, or video/digital format (DCP, Blu-ray, video files etc).
- The work has not been released publicly in Japan (screenings in theaters or TV broadcast) prior to being presented at YIDFF 2017. Japanese films are exempt from this rule.
- The work is produced after April 1, 2015.
- Shorts will not be accepted.
Call for entries begins on September 1, 2016.
3. Entry deadlines
First deadline: postmarked by December 15, 2016 (for works completed before October 31, 2016)
Second deadline: postmarked by April 15, 2017 (for works completed after November 1, 2016)
Selection process: Approximately 15 works will be selected based on agreement by the Festival Office and selection committee.
Notification: Entrants will be officially notified shortly after the selection.
5. About screenings
A. Works to be screened:
Screening copy: The Festival organizers may convert selected works to different screening formats at their discretion, with respect to the original.
The Festival organizers will produce English or Japanese subtitles for works screened, as deemed necessary.
Costs incurred in making a Japanese- or English-language version of the work and shipping screening copies to and from the Festival will be covered by the YIDFF.
B. Required items for selected works:
Screening copies of the selected works must reach the address designated by the YIDFF by July 15, 2017. (English subtitles are required for non-English and non-Japanese language films.) Complete dialogue list in original language with an English or Japanese translation also required if the original is in any other language.
One director for each selected film will be invited to the Festival, with the expenses covered by the YIDFF.
Entrants whose work is selected authorize broadcast of segments for Festival promotion on television in Japan and abroad (3 minutes or less), the internet (30 seconds or less), and other media.
They also authorize the use of still photographs in the Official Catalog, YIDFF website, and other publicity materials.
7. Screening copies after the Festival
Screening copies with Japanese or English subtitles will be preserved and used for research and educational purposes at the YAMAGATA Documentary Film Library. All subsequent public screenings using this screening copy will require an agreement between the rights owner and YIDFF.
An International Competition jury will be assigned, composed of individuals selected by the Festival.
- The jury will award the following prizes with remuneration to the directors:
- The Robert and Frances Flaherty Prize (The Grand Prize): 2,000,000 yen
- The Mayor’s Prize: 1,000,000 yen
- Two Awards of Excellence: 300,000 yen each
- Special Prize: 300,000 yen
For more information click "Further official information" below.