Sponsored by the Friday Morning Music Club Foundation
The 2017 64th Annual Washington International Competition for Piano will take place on June 3 and 4, 2017. Semifinals will be at the University of the District of Columbia Music Department, 4200 Connecticut Avenue, Washington, DC 20008 on Saturday, June 3 from 9:30-5:00 pm. The finals will be on Sunday, June 4 in the UDC Theatre for the Arts from 2:00-5:00 pm.
Housing will be offered to all semifinalists. These accommodations in private homes will include access to an excellent piano.
- First Prize—$10,000
- Second Prize—$5,000
- Third Prize—$3,000
- Finalist Prize (3)—$1,000 each
- Audience Prize—$1,000
- Solo appearance with the FMMC Avanti Orchestra
- Solo recital in Washington, DC (Alice Nagle Fund)
- Menahem Pressler
- Ann Schein
- James Tocco
Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 30 (as of the date of the competition). Proof of age will be required. Applicants must not be under professional management. Previous first-prize winners of the competition may not apply.
Applications will be found at www.getacceptd.com/WIC. Please direct all questions regarding the application process to Getacceptd. Please address specific repertoire questions to Chen-Li Tzeng at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted from September 15, 2016 until the deadline on February 15, 2017.
- J. S Bach: Any work. (Pieces with multiple sections or movements must be prepared in their entirety.)
- An entire Classical Sonata of one of the following composers: Mozart, Haydn or Beethoven (excluding Op. 49).
- A major work from the Romantic Period.
- A substantial work from the 20th or 21st century.
- A piece of the contestant’s choice not to exceed 10 minutes.
- Applicants should be prepared to perform all submitted repertoire for the semifinal and final rounds.
- All music must be performed by memory.
- The submitted repertoire program should be a minimum of 60 minutes.
Regulations and Instructions
- No changes in repertoire permitted past the deadline date on February 15, 2017.
- Submit a maximum of 35 minutes chosen from your required repertoire for the audition video. List of formats allowed on the Getacceptd site. The selections should present a representation of your playing.
- A jury will review submissions and select 16 semifinalists.
- All applicants will be notified of the results by mid-March.
- Semifinalists will be sent further instructions as needed.
- FMMC Foundation assumes no responsibility for actions of or injuries sustained by applicants or their escorts during their course of stay in the Washington, DC area.
- All contestants are responsible for transportation to and from Washington, DC.
- The decision of the judges is final and not to be disputed. No contact with the judges is permitted until after the results have been announced.
- The WIC reserves the right to use any recordings or photographs originated during the competitions, or any photographs or recordings provided by the contestants.
Chen-Li Tzeng, Competition Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
Grace McFarlane, Assistant Competition Chair: email@example.com
Leslie Luxemburg, Foundation Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: