Duty Station - Yerevan, Armenia
Practice Area - Job Family Democratic Governance - HUMAN RIGHTS
Education & Work Experience - I-Master's Level Degree - 5 year(s) experience
To support the Government of Armenia in advancing its Human Rights national agenda and meeting the commitments vis-à-vis European and international Human Rights instruments, UNDP, UNICEF and UNFPA with funding from the European Union launch a programme focusing on a number of priority areas under the framework of the National Strategy on Protection of Human Rights and the Action Plan of 2014-17, as well as the recommendations issued by International and Regional HR Mechanisms (including UPR, UN CEDAW, UN CRPD, UN CAT and SPT and UN CRC).
These priority areas are– by and large - aligned with the targets of the Human Rights Direct Budget Support programme of the European Union with following main components:
• Protection from torture and ill-treatment;
• Support adoption and enforcement of anti-discrimination law;
• Prevention of gender-based violence;
• Improved child protection systems;
• Establishment of effective M&E systems for human rights sector.
Under guidance and direct supervision of the Project Coordinator/Promotion and Protection of Human Rights in Armenia, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting the Project team (focal points from UNICEF, UNFPA and UNDP) in providing strategic advice and support in the planning, implementation, monitoring, data analysis and reporting related to the project components.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support the Project with top quality expertise in the assigned areas of responsibility;
- Provide advisory and expert services to the national partner agencies, local and international organizations and facilitate knowledge building and management.
Support the Project team with top quality expertise in the assigned areas of responsibility:
- Contributes to planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the Project activities.
- Supports establishing a professional platform for networking and partnership building with key stakeholders in human rights sector, including the government agencies, international organizations, civil society, and other relevant partners; functions as a liaison.
- Contributes to the facilitation of dialogue between the government, the Human Rights Defender and civil society on respective human rights areas, including for the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the Human Rights Action Plan.
- Provides periodic analytical updates on the situation in respective sectors of the Project to the Project team.
- Provides creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities in the field of human rights.
- Collects, analyzes and consolidates general and issue-specific materials, documentation, information and reports, as well as prepares background materials required/or useful for the implementation of the Project.
- Supports the Project Coordinator in reviews and quality assurance of the Project outputs and products with a special focus on child rights and gender-based violence sectors.
- Links experience from workshops, trainings, meetings, seminars with the Project activities.
- Supports the public awareness component of the Project by contributing to writing of outreach materials and planning of events.
- Advocates with partners about specific human rights issues including child rights, gender-based violence and anti-discrimination, on the basis of relevant international norms, standards, conventions, treaties and instruments.
- Contributes to developing ideas for creative advocacy and communication campaigns on human rights, including child rights, anti-discrimination and gender-based violence.
- Participates in meetings with the key stakeholders, partners, national and international experts and working groups as required.
- Works closely with the Project’s other team members, donors, government agencies, NGOs and other professionals on issues of common concern.
- Responds to requests/queries on information regarding aspects of the Project that relate to the human rights perspective, as assigned by the Project Coordinator.
- Participates in the process of writing concept papers/project proposal/strategies/development processes by providing expert opinions.
- Undertake any other responsibilities as may be assigned in relation to this position as well as perform other tasks as assigned by the Project Coordinator.
Advocacy/Advancing Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Performs analysis of scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
Support in Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Support in Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s/UN‘s mandate and strategic agenda
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
Developing New Approaches:
- Identifies new and innovative approaches and promotes their use in project activities
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP/UN & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree in law, human rights law, international relations, political science, social sciences or related field
- At least 5 years of relevant experience at national or international level in Human Rights sector;
- Substantial knowledge of the national and international framework and policies on human rights (including child rights and GBV)
- Familiarity with key human rights stakeholders in Armenia, including the governmental level, international organizations, and civil society
- Experience in establishing inter-relationships among international organizations and national governments
- Solid knowledge and/or experience in human rights sector focusing on child rights and gender-based violence is required
- Working experience with UN/UNDP is an asset
- Experience of working in projects focusing on child rights and/or GBV (gender-based violence) is a strong asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English and Armenian
Please press LINK TO ORIGINAL button below to apply online!