The Wenlock International Poetry Competition 2016 is now open for submissions.
This year, welcome one of Britain’s most respected poets, Don Paterson, as lead judge. The only poet to have won the TS Eliot prize twice, Don was awarded the Queen’s Gold Medal for Poetry in 2009.
The long list of poems will be chosen by a panel of prize-winning, published poets including Festival Poet in Residence, Paul Francis.
Entry costs £5 per poem (maximum of 5 poems per person), and the competition prizes are:
- 1st prize: £500
- 2nd prize: £200
- 3rd prize: £100
One poem will be judged as Highly Commended. The closing date for entries is Monday, 7 March 2016. Please read the rules below carefully before submitting.
- Entry fee is £5 per poem entered and payment must be at point of online submission.
- The results and commendations will be announced during the Festival.
- Winners will be notified in advance and invited to attend an award ceremony on Saturday 23 April 2016.
- Wenlock Poetry Festival reserves the right to publish winning entries on the internet for up to one year from the date of the prize giving and they may be read out and/or posted on radio or TV during the Festival and in other local media at any time, all without payment of a fee. Copyright remains with the authors.
- Wenlock Poetry Festival is the organiser of the competition and reserves the right not to award prizes.