The 2016 Rattle Poetry Prize
The annual Rattle Poetry Prize offers $10,000 for a single poem to be published in the winter issue of the magazine. Ten finalists will also receive $200 each and publication, and be eligible for the $2,000 Readers’ Choice Award, to be selected by subscriber and entrant vote.
Additional poems from the entries are frequently offered publication as well. In 2015 we published 23 poems that had been submitted to the contest from almost 4,000 entries.
With the winners judged in a blind review by the editors to ensure a fair and consistent selection, an entry fee that is simply a one-year subscription to the magazine—and now a large Readers’ Choice Award to be chosen by the writers themselves—we’ve designed the Rattle Poetry Prize to be one of the most writer-friendly contests around.
1) The entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers) at our regular $20 rate. Prior to May 1st, new subscriptions will start with the Summer 2016 issue, arriving in June. After May 1st, new subscriptions will start with the Fall 2016 issue, arriving September. Current subscribers will receive a one-year extension.
2) One $10,000 Winner and ten $200 Finalists will be selected in a blind review by the editors of Rattle and printed in the Winter 2016 issue; one $2,000 Readers’ Choice Award will then be chosen from among the Finalists by subscriber and entrant vote.
3) Open to writers, worldwide; poems must be written in English (no translations). Rattle’s winter issue must be a potential first publication for all works submitted. No previously published works, or works accepted for publication elsewhere. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we must be notified immediately if any poems are accepted elsewhere. If you submitted by mail, just call or email to let us know. On Submittable, log in and add a note to your submission (under the “Activity” tab).
4) No identifying personal or contact information should appear on any pages with poems. We can’t know who you are while reading.
5) Entry fees are non-refundable. Send up to four poems per entry. There is no line-limit. Poems may be any length, any style, or any subject. Multiple entries by a single poet are accepted, however each group of four poems must be treated as a separate entry, each with its own cover sheet and an additional $20 fee. Each additional entry will add an extra year to your subscription.
6) Manuscripts will not be returned; include a SASE or email address if you’d like to be notified of the results. Winners will be announced September 15, 2016, and the Readers’ Choice Award Winner will be announced February 15, 2017. Additional entries may also be offered standard publication.
7) Entries may be submitted by Submittable, or in hardcopy within the United States. International entries must be submitted by Submittable. Please note that we’re no longer accepting email entries—all electronic entries must come through Submittable.
Submitting via Submittable
Click the link to our Submittable contest page to purchase your subscription and upload your file through that system. Be sure to include all the poems that you’re submitting in a single file (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, .txt), removing any identifying information. Contact information is supplied through the online form.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: