About the grant
The Armenian Communities Department of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation is giving the possibility to qualified students, academics and researchers in Armenian Studies to participate in activities related to their field of studies, encouraging academic interaction and exchange of knowledge and ideas. The maximum grant amount will be based on proposals received, but shall not exceed 5,000 USD.
Note that «Armenian Studies» is understood in a broad sense and is not confined to Area Studies. It includes politics, sociology, cultural studies, archaeology, history and other disciplines within the social sciences and humanities.
Requirements for eligibility
Candidates wishing to apply for a Short Term Grant for Armenian Studies must meet the following requirements:
- Be (i) a Master or PhD degree student or (ii) a researcher in the field of Armenian Studies, wishing to attend international seminars, conferences, summer courses and other relevant activities related to his/her research field (the maximum duration of stay is three months). Preference will be given to younger scholars.
If youdo not meet these requirements then you are unlikely to besuccessfulin your application.
Applications are evaluated on a case by case basis, as it is the amount and duration of the grants, according to the academic relevance of the proposed event or research trip to the candidate’s topic, his/her merit, the quality of his/her proposal, the international importance of the conference/seminar and the letters of reference.
- A copy of the candidate’s passport (main page with personal data)
- Attested copies of university certificates, translated into English, if originals are not in English or French
- A full curriculum vitae including list of academic publications (if any)
- Letter of support from supervisor(s)
- We may ask for referee letters
If a conference,
- Title and abstract of the paper accepted for presentation (proposal)
- Letter of acceptance by conference/seminar/activity organizers
- A brief description of the conference/seminar /activity and its relevance to the
If a research trip,
- A complete research proposal, with abstract, (max. 5 pages) describing the research problem, the framework of the research, a description of the way in which the problem will be approached and the proposed research methodology, the scientific scope, a prospective timeline, as well as the theoretical and empirical sources used
- Invitation letter from host institution
Applications can be received throughout the year for forthcoming events and must be filled out online.
The evaluation of completed applications occurs during the last week of every month. Decisions will be conveyed to candidates through «Myfile» within six weeks of submission. If the applicant cannot participate in the conference/seminar/activity for any reason, including non-issuance of visas, the funds granted must be returned to the Foundation. Applicants can receive a maximum of two grants.
For more information click "Further official information" below.