We’re looking for short fiction stories! Think you can write a winning story in 1,500 words or less? Enter the 17th Annual Writer’s Digest Short Short Story Competition for your chance to win $3,000 in cash, get published in Writer’s Digest magazine, and a paid trip to our ever-popular Writer’s Digest Conference! The winning entries will be on display in the 16th Annual Writer’s Digest Competition Collection. There are no restrictions or preferences regarding the content.
How to Enter
- All entries must be submitted online. Entries must be accompanied by the required entry fee (credit card information, check or money order made payable to F+W Media, Inc.). All checks will be cashed within 60 days of the competition final deadline. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Your entry must be original, in English, unpublished and unproduced, not accepted by any other publisher or producer at the time of submission. Writer’s Digest retains one-time nonexclusive publication rights to the winning entries to be published in a Writer’s Digest publication. Any piece posted online, anywhere other than a personal blog, is considered published.
- All entries must be formatted to 8-1/2 x 11 or A4 paper. All manuscripts must be double-spaced. Entries files should not include name, address, and phone number in the upper left-hand corner of the first page since that information is collected on the form.
- BE SURE OF YOUR WORD COUNT! Entries exceeding the word limits will be disqualified. Type the exact word count (counting every single word, except the title and contact information) at the top of the manuscript.
Due to U.S. Government restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, North Korea, or Sudan.
- You can APPLY ONLINE by clicking to "Further official information" below then clicking to "Enter this competition".
For more information click "Further official information" below.