Poems may be on any subject or style and must not have been previously published, or posted on a website or blog. Poems posted on members-only writing groups for workshop purposes as part of the creative process are not deemed to have been previously published. Poems must also not be under consideration for publication or accepted for publication elsewhere. Poets of all nationalities living anywhere in the world are eligible to enter.
Length: Maximum 50 lines per poem
Entry Fees: £4/1 poem, £7/2 poems, £9/3 poems, £11/4 poems, £12.00/5 poems. (You may enter as many poems as you wish – with the applicable fees.)
First: £200.00, Second: £100.00, Third: £50.00,
Highly Commended: £20 x 3, Commended: £10 x 3.
- Poems must be in English, unpublished, and not currently accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Poems should be typed and must be no longer than 50 lines (excluding title).
- Any number of poems may be entered on payment of the applicable fee of £4 per poem, £8 for 2 poems, £9 for 3 poems, £11 for 4 poems, £12 for 5 poems, £16 for 7 poems and £22 for 10 poems. Cheques and postal orders in GB Pound Sterling only should be made payable to SENTINEL POETRY MOVEMENT.
- Each poem should begin on a separate sheet, which should not include the name of the author.
- The author’s name and address should be provided on an accompanying Entry Form or Cover Note.
- The winners and commended writers will be notified by post or e-mail.
- The results will be published on our results page
- Poems cannot be returned, please do not send your only copy.
- If you win one of the prizes in this quarter’s competition, you will NOT be prohibited from entering next quarter’s competition.
- If on the advice of the judge, the quality of entries is too low to produce worthy prize winners, or any other legitimate reasons beyond our control arise which may affect a fair completion or conduct of the competition, we reserve the right to cancel the competition and refund all entry fees immediately by the same method we have been paid.
- We reserve the right to reapportion the prize money if necessary in the interest of continuity as an alternative to cancellation of the competition.
- If the level of participation is too low in the opinion of the administrators, we may extend the closing date to give more authors a chance to send in their entries and have a keener competition. If we extend the closing date it will always be for a maximum of 1 calendar month.
- By entering this competition you provide some information such as your address and e-mail address which may be deemed personal information. These will be processed according to the data protection acts 1998 and 2002. We will never pass on any detail you provide in the course of entering this competition to a third party and we will never sell your data to anyone for marketing purposes.
- By entering this competition you agree that we may contact you by e-mail or post via our newsletter with the results of the competition, the adjudicator’s reports and information on future competitions. You may unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time.
- Copyright to all poems submitted will remain with the authors but the Sentinel Poetry Movement reserves the right to publish all winning and commended poems.
- Prize money payments for all Sentinel writing competitions are completed within 8 weeks of the announcement of the results by PayPal or Recorded Mail. If you wish to have your prize money paid to a third party, this must be done in writing.
- Please only submit your own original work.
- The adjudicator’s decision will be final and no correspondence can be entered into.
Postal entries should be sent to: Sentinel Poetry Movement, Unit 136, 113-115 George Lane, South Woodford, London E18 1AB. Online entries should be sent to email@example.com
- The submission of poems for the Prize will be taken as indicating acceptance of the above conditions.
For more information click "Further official information" below.