The San Sebastian Festival calls its VI online poster competition for selection of the images to represent five of the major sections in its 65th edition: New Directors, Horizontes Latinos, Zabaltegi-Tabakalera, Pearls and Culinary Zinema.
The Festival seeks to encourage creativity and participation and to foster greater reach of the event. The competition is open to all designers who wish to present their proposals for the above-mentioned sections and the public will vote for their favourite posters. A jury will choose one winner and up to four finalists in each category and there will be a prize draw among voters of the proposals.
- Submission and presentation of proposals: January 13 (13h GMT+1) - February 20 (13h GMT+1).
- Public vote: February 22 (13h GMT+1) - March 8 (13h GMT+1).
- Announcement of finalists: March 10
- Jury deliberation and communication to the winner or winners: March 14
- Public announcement of the winning posters: May 5
- Prize draw among voters of the winning options: May 9
The posters must be original and unpublished and must not have been submitted for other competitions.
The author of the poster must own the rights to the images and elements used in the poster or they must be freely usable resources.
The authors will be held responsible for respecting all stipulations included herein.
Participants are free to submit posters for as many sections as they wish. They can also submit as many posters as they wish for each section.
The sections are:
- New Directors. An international competition for first or second works by their directors representing the most recent in not-yet-released film production worldwide.
- Horizontes Latinos. A competition between the most interesting Latin American features of the year, not yet released in Spain.
- Zabaltegi-Tabakalera. An open, heterogeneous section showcasing the biggest and best films of the year.
- Pearls. A selection of the most outstanding films of the year, eagerly awaited by audiences, many of which have received critical acclaim or awards at other international festivals.
- Culinary Zinema. A section combining cinema and gastronomy. This is a competitive selection of films related to gastronomy and accompanied by themed dinners.
Posters can be submitted from 13 January (13:00h GMT+1) 2017 until 20 February (13:00h GMT+1) 2017.
All proposals submitted will be revised and approved by the San Sebastian Festival. During the proposal approval period the poster authors will receive email notification of whether their proposals have been accepted or rejected.
The Festival reserves the right to reject any proposals it considers to be offensive or inappropriate. In such an event, the San Sebastian Festival will decide whether or not to inform the author of the reasons for rejecting a proposal, giving them the opportunity to rectify defects where possible. Once through this stage, the posters presented will be immediately published.
The San Sebastian Festival will place particular importance on originality and therefore recommends that the proposals submitted avoid recurring elements in the film world, such as clapperboards, film, reels and the usual local images.
Participants must complete a form when making their submissions, indicating their e-mail address, full name, and telephone number. Posters must be submitted in vertical JPG format measuring a minimum of 1361 x 1927 and a maximum of 2825 x 4000 pixels. They must not weigh more than 8Mb.
It is important to give the poster a “title” for reference purposes when the proposal goes on display for public voting. This title will be requested as mandatory on the poster submission form.
The submission form will serve as proof of entry and will only be used to identify proposals once the Jury has made its decision. The Jury will have no access to the database.
Posters in a different archive format, medium, pixel size or proportions to those indicated will be automatically rejected.
For the authors of the winning posters:
The winner or winners of the “POSTER COMPETITION - 65th SAN SEBASTIAN FESTIVAL 2017” will receive a prize of ONE THOUSAND EUROS (€1,000) per poster selected for each section. The amounts will be paid to the winner or winners by means of a cheque made out in their names or bank transfer.
For voting members of the public:
Five prizes will be awarded (1 per section) among all voters. The prize in each case is a 10-session voucher for the Festival and a set of publications issued for the 65th San Sebastian Festival.
The draw will be made by computer procedure. The more votes you cast, the higher your chances of winning the draw. The authors of the winning posters are excluded from participating in the draw for their winning category. The winners of the draw will be announced on the www.sansebastianfestival.com special competition site on 9 May 2017.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: