The Peter Porter Poetry Prize is one of Australia's most prestigious prizes for a new poem. The Prize – now open to all poets writing in English – is named after the great Australian poet Peter Porter (1929–2010). The Prize was first awarded in 2005 (Stephen Edgar) and was renamed in 2011, following Peter Porter's death.
Entries must be new single-authored poems of up to 75 lines.
The winner receives $5,000 and shortlisted poets receive $500. All the shortlisted poems are published in the magazine.
Entries close 1 December 2016.
Who can enter?
1. Entries are welcome from poets anywhere in the world.
2. There is no age limit.
3. ABR staff, board members, and editorial advisers are not eligible. ABR contributors and volunteers may enter.
What does it cost to enter a poem?
Each entry must be accompanied by an entry fee of AU$20, or AU$15 for current ABR subscribers. To qualify for the lower entry fee, entrants must hold a current one-year subscription to our print edition or ABR Online.
If you don’t already subscribe to ABR Online, you can purchase a one-year subscription and enter a single poem for a total of AU$55. You can then enter subsequent poems at the discounted rate of $15 each.
How to enter online
- We encourage poets to enter online.
- Online entries should be either PDFs or Word documents. The text should be presented with single-line spacing and in 12 pt font size. The pages should be numbered. Stanza breaks must be clearly indicated.
- The author’s name must not appear in the document or in the name of the digital file.
- The file name should only include the title of the poem.
- Online entrants will receive automatic confirmation of receipt.
How to enter by mail
- We accept entries sent by post.
- Use the entry form available for download on the Porter Prize page on our website
- Poems sent by post must be printed on single-sided A4 paper, with single-line spacing and 12 pt font size.
- Only one copy is required.
- Manuscripts will not be returned.
- The poet’s name must not appear on the manuscript – only on the entry form.
- Cheques should be made payable to Australian Book Review.
- Entries will not be accepted by email or fax.
- Address for posted entries: Porter Prize, Australian Book Review, Studio 2, 207 City Road, Southbank, Victoria 3006, Australia.
- Hard-copy entries postmarked 1 December 2016 will be accepted.
- Hard-copy entries will be acknowledged by email within one month of receipt (as long as a valid email address is provided).
- Do not contact us for confirmation before this time has elapsed.
THE JUDGING PROCESS
- Judging is completely anonymous.
- The entrant’s name must not appear in the Word file/PDF, the file’s title, or on the hard copy – only on the entry form.
- The judges are Ali Alizadeh, Jill Jones, and Felicity Plunkett.
- ABR reserves the right not to award a prize.
- A shortlist comprising a maximum of six poems will be announced and those poems will appear in the March or April 2017 issue of ABR. The winner will be announced later in March or April at a ceremony to which all entrants will be invited.
- The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into about the judgements or the judging process.
To be eligible, entrants must tick the declaration box on the online entry page or the printed entry form.
I hereby declare that the poem entered in the Peter Porter Poetry Prize is my own work, has not been previously published or awarded, is not currently on offer to another publication or prize, and will not be so offered for the duration of this competition. I have read all the terms and conditions and agree to abide by them.
For more information click "Further official information" below.