The University of Florence can trace its origins to the Studium Generale, which was established by the Florentine Republic in 1321. Initially, Civil and Canon Law, Literature, and Medicine were among the subjects taught at the Studium, and various famous scholars were invited to teach there: Giovanni Bocaccio was asked to lecture on the Divine Comedy. However, the importance of the Studium was fully recognized with a Bull by Popo Clemente VI in 1349, in which he officially authorised the Studium to grant regular degrees, extended the Privilegia maxima, and established that the first Italian Faculty of Theology would be in Florence. In 1364, with Emperor Carlo VII, the Florentine Studium became an Imperial University. However, when Lorenzo the Magnificent gained control of Florence and much of Tuscany, the Studium was moved to Pisa, in 1473. Carlo VIII moved it back to Florence from 1497-1515, but with the return of the Medici family it was once again transferred to Pisa. In spite of these moves, many teaching activities continued in Florence, and scientific research found substantial support in the various Academies of the time, like the Crusca and the Cimento.