The MFOR Fellowship is uniquely designed to support three senior or mid-career journalists to deepen their mastery of oil and gas reporting through a tailored professional capacity development program over a period of one year. Fellows will have the opportunity to engage in a range of formal and informal learning opportunities, including short seminars led by oil and gas experts, financial and technical support for the creation of extractives stories, attendance at global media events, and participation in national, regional and international extractive industries events.
Although fellows may produce a range of stories during the term of the fellowship, NRGI expects that each fellow will produce a number of significant stories in three core areas:
- Transparency and accountability in oil and gas sector governance;
- Governance of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation; and
- Improving the management of licensing and contracting processes.
An NRGI-appointed senior advisor and a member of NRGI’s staff will manage fellows throughout the duration of the fellowship. At the end, fellows will be better equipped to analyze information about the oil and gas sector and transform that analysis into impactful stories.
Subject to final agreement with the fellows, NRGI anticipates offering fellows benefits such as:
- Full sponsorship to fellows to participate in the Global Investigative Journalism Conference in Johannesburg, South Africa, on 16-19 November 2017
- Full sponsorship to fellows to participate in one NRGI regional course and exchange program
- Financial support of up to USD 4,500 to complete their reporting projects over the course of the fellowship
- Access to mentoring by a senior (journalism) advisor and technical support by NRGI experts
- Participation in NRGI brownbag seminars on sector topics
Subject to final agreement with the fellows, NRGI anticipates fellows will be expected to:
- Produce at least three (3) in-depth reporting projects on one or more of the three core areas.
- Participate in all the fellowship’s mentoring and related capacity development offerings, including seminars and courses.
- Work closely with the fellowship advisor and NRGI staff to meet agreed timelines for producing all agreed fellowship outputs.
- Document their experience with the fellowship, including at NRGI-sponsored meetings, for submission to and use by NRGI.
Successful applicants will demonstrate self-drive, proactive engagement and the ability to follow through on commitments and to complete the program with minimal supervision. Fellows must also have:
- At least five years of continuous journalism experience
- Proven record of reporting on oil and gas topics
- Advanced journalism skills including the ability to apply more sophisticated journalism techniques
- Newsroom leadership potential
- Willingness and ability to commit to the demands of the fellowship
- Explicit support from their media organization to pursue all aspects of this fellowship
How to Apply
Interested candidates must complete the online application form by 15 May 2017. In support of the application, applicants are be required to submit:
- Links to three previously-published stories, in any format, that address the oil and gas sector in Nigeria
- A statement of purpose which explains why they are applying for the fellowship
- A statement, no longer than 500 words, which describes their interest in and/or experience reporting the priority reform topics of the fellowship
- A signed consent note from an editor/supervisor and/or employer that confirms they will be given support and time to fulfill the requirements of the fellowship
- A one-page CV or resume
Shortlisted candidates will be further required to submit a plan for three major reporting projects related to the three core areas, and further discuss their application with NRGI staff and an external advisor prior to being selected for a fellowship.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted by 29 May 2017. Fellowship program begins in July 2017.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: