JAXA seeks for talented and motivated individuals who are willing to work as ITYF fellows.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. or Doctoral degree in natural sciences or engineering (by the end of May 2015), or equivalent or higher qualifications, with less than 8 years of postdoctoral experience.
Duration of the Fellowship and Commencement of Research Activity
- The contract period is basically three (3) years. The contract shall be renewed every Japanese fiscal year. When renewing the contract at the end of 3 years, depending on funding and progress, the period can be extended up to five (5) years from the time of commencement only if the ITYF Steering Committee acknowledges ITYF fellows’ research achievements as distinctly excellent.
- Commencement of the Research Activity (start of contract): April 1, 2016.
(The starting date is negotiable.)
- Research Plan and Achievement Report
i) After the appointment, ITYF fellows must develop a 3-year research plan in consultation with their supervisors and submit it to the ITYF Steering Committee.
ii) ITYF fellows must report their research achievements every fiscal year to the ITYF Steering Committee for its review. The ITYF Steering Committee gives ITYF fellows its feed-back.
iii) ITYF fellows must submit the final report of their research achievements for three years to the ITYF Steering Committee upon termination of the contract and gain its approval.
Number of positions
Application deadline (plan)
17:00(Japanese Standard Time), June 19, 2015
All applications including letters of reference must be received by the due date.
Submitted documents will be reviewed by the JAXA ITYF Steering Committee. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a seminar presentation at ISAS/JAXA in Japan. Please note that travel and accommodation expenses for the interview will be borne by JAXA.
[Points of review]
- Can the candidate produce outstanding academic achievements in the area of specialization?
- Can the candidate create a new academic trend in collaboration with researchers inside and/or outside ISAS?
- Can the candidate contribute to proposing or incubating an attractive project plan in collaboration with researchers inside and/or outside ISAS?
- Can the candidate contribute to strengthening networks of ISAS and related institutes at home and abroad?
- Does the candidate have a positive impact on ISAS researchers concerning human resource development?
- End of July : Announcement of paper screening result by e-mail
- End of August : Seminar presentation
- End of September : Announcement of Successful Applicants
E-mail : ITYF2015@jaxa.jp
JAXA International Top Young Fellowship Steering Committee
Institute of Space and Astronautical Science, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency
All documents should be written in English language.
Use of personal information
The personal information provided to JAXA will not be used for any purpose other than the selection procedures of the JAXA International Top Young Fellowship. JAXA will handle the provided personal information properly according to JAXA’s rules.