Gulen Youth Platform Essay Contest 2016
Gulen Institute Youth Platform is an international essay contest annually organised by the Gulen Institute at the University of Houston.
2016 Youth Platform Topic: "Extremism".
"There are many ways extreme behaviors contribute to creating unsafe conditions for communities and societies. People, especially youth, are attracted to causes and join with others to create violence and destruction. Acknowledging that extremism is both justifiable on occasion and also responsible for considerable harm and disruption in the world, select only one of the following propositions. In two thousand words explore to what degree is extremism is responsible for progress and for disharmony in the world".
The contest is open for high school students in grades 9th through 12th enrolled in public or private schools all over the world.
Essays must be:
• written in English;
• original, unpublished, and written entirely by student;
• contain student’s original opinions and recommendations based on research;
• at least 1,500 words in length but no more than 2,000 (Citations and bibliography are not included in the word count);
• typed, double-spaced with margins: left: 1.5″, right: 1″, top: 1″, bottom: 1″, page-numbered;
• include a bibliography;
• comply with standards regarding citations and bibliography.
2016 AWARDS FOR STUDENTS
|1st place||1,000 USD|
|2nd place||750 USD|
|3rd place||500 USD|
|4th – 15th place:||100 USD|
|16th – 30th place:||50 USD|
2015 AWARDS FOR STUDENTS
|1st place||2,000 USD + 3-day excursion|
|2nd place||1,500 USD + 3-day excursion|
|3rd place||1,000 USD + 3-day excursion|
|4th – 15th place:||300 USD+ 3-day excursion|
|16th – 30th place:||100 USD|
All winners will receive a Certificate of Award from the Gulen Institute at the University of Houston.
There are no entry fees.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: