ETS English Language Learning Summer Institute
Thank you for your interest in an internship with the ETS English Language Learning (ELL) Summer Institute. This page provides all of the information you will need to apply.
ELL summer interns will produce materials for use on large-scale, high-stakes standardized tests of English-language proficiency. Each intern will work on one of the following:
- TOEFL iBT® Test
- The TOEFL iBT test is taken by nonnative speakers of English who are planning to apply to a college or university in an English-speaking country.
- TOEIC® Tests
- The TOEIC tests are taken principally by people who need to communicate with both native and nonnative speakers of English in the context of the global workplace.
The test development work is intellectually challenging and rewarding. The work may include:
- writing items that test knowledge of grammar, vocabulary and reading comprehension
- identifying academic texts that are suitable for testing reading comprehension
- creating conversations and talks that test listening comprehension
- developing scenarios and prompts that allow candidates to demonstrate their speaking or writing skills
|ELL Summer Institute Start and End Dates||July 11 through August 19|
|Position Type||Paid. Interns will receive attractive compensation.|
|Location||ETS Rosedale campus in Princeton, New Jersey|
|Schedule||Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.|
|Accommodations||Interns must provide or arrange their own housing and transportation.|
|Application Deadline||Sunday, March 27, 2016|
Applying to the ELL Summer Institute is a two-step process:
- Each of the test sections hiring for the summer is associated with a specific work sample (see below). Complete a separate work sample for each test section for which you would like to be considered.
- If you do not already have one, create an ETS application account. Log in to your account and fill out or update the required data. Then upload a cover letter, your résumé or CV, and each completed 2016 work sample you would like to submit for review. We prefer Word documents, not PDFs. Make sure all documents contain "2016" in their titles before uploading them. Upload your documents only one time each. Log out and log back in to see that your documents were uploaded.
- Title a cover letter with your first and last name plus "Cover" and the year "2016" (example: Jane Doe Cover 2016).
- Title your résumé or CV with your first and last name plus "CV" and the year "2016" (example: Jane Doe CV 2016). (Although you have the option to paste the contents of your résumé or CV into a field, we prefer that you upload a copy. You can leave that field blank.)
- Documents which are not properly titled will not be reviewed.
- Please note: If you submitted an application in the past, you will already have documents, such as a résumé or CV, attached to your account. You cannot remove them. Upload your most recent versions as stated above; we will only look at versions that contain "2016" in the title.
You must complete the two-step application process by Sunday, March 27, 2016. Applicants are selected mainly on the basis of their performance on the work samples. Work samples will be evaluated in April, and you will be notified of your status by April 29.
TOEFL iBT Test
- TOEFL Reading work sample (Word)
- TOEFL Speaking work sample (Word)
- TOEFL Writing work sample (Word)
Learn what previous interns think about the program.
If you have questions concerning the work samples or your application to the ELL Summer Institute, please contact Strategic Staffing Consultant Monica Hopkins.
Work samples are Copyright © 2016 by ETS. All rights reserved. Limited distribution of this material is made solely for the purpose of applying for internships in the 2016 ELL Summer Institute. No part of this material may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying and recording, or stored in any information storage and retrieval system. Violators will be prosecuted according to United States and international copyright and trademark laws.