Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is pleased to announce its paid Internship Program. Interns gain practical work experience and support the work of our Communications, Development, Program, Human Resources (both for the field and the office), and Executive departments. Interns also gain a basic introduction to the field of international medical humanitarian aid and advocacy. All internships will take place in our New York office and will be paid at the rate of $10.00 per hour.
Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months–4 months (depending on term)
Location: New York City
Objective: To support Doctors Without Borders cross-departmentally while providing a practical learning experience to an individual interested in communications and social media for an international nonprofit organization.
Overview: The Communications Department of Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) works to expand awareness of humanitarian crises and endemic health problems that medical teams address around the world. Public awareness is built through: active and reactive presswork; publications produced in-house, including a quarterly newsletter, website and social media content including stories, reports and multimedia; and public education activities such as interactive exhibits, speaking events, and screenings, and the creation and distribution of teaching tools and curriculums.
The social media intern will assist in all levels of MSF’s social media strategy, from routine daily and weekly postings to participating in the conception and execution of campaigns, reporting, monitoring, and analysis. This is a hands-on position, offering the opportunity to actively improve tools through which MSF communicates its message to the public. The ideal candidate will contribute creatively to new and ongoing projects. An undergraduate or graduate student with an interest in journalism, multimedia, publishing, non-profit communications, and/or international affairs would be best suited for this position.
Duties include some or all of the following based on current needs:
- Completing and keeping track of regular, repeated tasks.
- Writing short blurbs and Tweets consistent with MSF-USA style.
- Selecting appropriate images to use in SM communications.
- Giving helpful feedback on how to best use content for SM.
- Providing in-depth monthly SM reports.
- Providing research and reports as requested.
- Careful SM monitoring during crises.
- Participating in putting together packages including photo galleries, video playlists, weekly content round-ups, and more.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Strong experience with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Youtube, Vimeo, and knowledge of other tools such as Flipboard and Storify.
- Experience with social media monitoring and scheduling tools.
- Strong interest in writing and multimedia.
- Experience in working in a deadline-driven environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency internet research.
- Undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate experience in journalism or communications.
- Please provide examples of published writing and/or social media projects and references.
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Above-average computer literacy,
- Skills in Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Audition, or other audio editing program,
- French and/or Spanish language skills.
For more information click "Further official information" below.