Thousands of study and academic opportunities in Cancer Studies are available internationally. Conferences and summer schools in Cancer Studies are organized regularly in the best academic centers of the world. The majority of universities and many foundations also offer BA, MA, and Ph.D. programs in Cancer Studies as wells as postdoctoral research grants, awards, and fellowships. Below you will find the updated list of international opportunities available in Cancer Studies.
Cancer Studies Scholarship
- American Cancer Society Grant
- Cancer Council Postgraduate Scholarship Applications
- DEPM Prostate Cancer Research Scholarship
- Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation Awards
- Cancer Council Western Australia Ph.D. Top-Up Scholarships
- MD Anderson Center High School Scholarship Program
- John Larson Cancer Research Scholarship
- Kids Cancer Care Scholarships
- Canadian Center Society Research Grant
- Cancer Council Tasmania Scholarship
Cancer Studies Fellowship
- World Cancer Research Fund International Fellowships
- Cancer Research Institute Fellowships and Grants
- American Association for Cancer Research Fellowships
- American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellowships
- UK Cancer Research Career Development Fellowship
- ESMO Research Fellowship
- Research Fellowships in Translational Cancer Research
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Long-Term International Fellowship
- Lung Cancer Initiative Research Fellows
- Ohio University Graduate Student Pelotonia Fellowship Program
Cancer Studies Conferences
- Pulsus International Conference on Cancer Research and Pharmacology
- International Conference on Cancer Science Research & Development
- World Cancer Conference
- International Conference on Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology
- International E-Conference on Cancer Science and Therapy
- International Cancer Conference
- Aortic Cancer Genomics Conference
- The University of Sydney Cancer Conference
- Molloy College Cancer Care Conference
- MASCC/ISOO Annual Meeting
Cancer Studies Relevant Accounts on Twitter
The modern medical world reached the stage where many patients with cancer diagnosis defeat the disease and continue living a happy life. That magnificent result is possible by the accumulation of efforts, trials, and analysis of specialists worldwide.
Yet, though with decreased statistics of deaths, cancer still continues taking lives. Therefore, when talking about cancer in an academic direction, expect that the vast majority of the disease is not yet explored, and you will enter a field with an excessive level of research projects.
Cancer studies, as a discipline, has found the treatment for any cancer as its mission. The scope of the discipline is the following. Firstly, the already ready findings of the past about the disease are introduced to students. This is done to introduce them to an already existing knowledge base, and later engage them in new researches.
Cancer Studies Majors
The list of the main subjects that usually research study students take will give you the best insight on the Cancer Studies major. The main courses include:
- Study of carcinogens
- The onset of malignancy in cells, tissues, organs, or blood
- The Cancer Genetics
- Cancer Cells Anatomy and Physiology
- Cancer Behaviors and Treatments
- Viral Genes and Cancer Proliferation
- Cancer Proteins
- Carcinogen Receptors and Metabolism, etc.
Usually, the most popular major for Cancer Studies in Oncology and Cancer Biology. Meantime, there are other biology and medical majors that you can take if you want to pursue careers in Cancer Studies. For example, you might take Cell Physiology, Genomics, Molecular Pharmacology, etc.
Cancer Studies Research
Thanks to cancer research, the disease's overall image of something that can't be explored and can't be cured started to change. That's because the medical field specialists, along with scientists and researchers, drastically improved their understanding of the disease. The discoveries of oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes, cell cycles, angiogenesis and responses to hypoxia, etc., largely contributed to that.
Though much is already discussed, cancer research's main goal is to examine the biological process that happens in the human organism when cancer onset grows and spreads in the body. Also, and most prominently, researchers try to find the methods of stopping that process.
Generally, cancer research has two important directions: experimental studies and observational studies.
Experimental research means conducting as many testing research activities as possible to understand the effectiveness of certain inventions clearly. For example, you or your research group might receive a new structure of medicine, which is hoped to cure cancer. Before giving it to wide masses, your team will choose a focus group of people (those who will be tested) and do experiments until the research findings indicate that the medicine can be used.
Observational research carefully watches groups of people under certain natural conditions. The observations might talk significantly longer, for example, up to 1 year or even longer. The above-mentioned inventions have no place if you focus on observational research, as in this type of research, scholars do not try to control it. Observational researchers carefully follow the chosen groups for testing, write down the outcomes, probable statistics, etc., to enrich the information about the disease.
From the descriptions of the two research directions above, you might guess that the more practical of them, the experimental is more popular and more reliable. When thinking about experimental research, you should know clinical research: one of the most significant phases of cancer research.
Clinical research is the testing of medicine on human organisms whether that can be used by society, considering its consequences.
Observational research has both its advantages and non-advantages. One of the main drawbacks of observational research is that there is no control over the research project participants who are being tested. If researchers complete any control, they will ruin one of the main characteristics and conditions of the research: watching people in natural environments without any external chemical medicine.
For a long time, the world will remember the name of the person who found a cure for cancer. Suppose you are interested in medical or cancer diagnosis and prevention. In that case, a cancer study is a great place to start and contribute your work to something that will make people significantly happier. We hope this section of ARMACAD will help you to reach success