Media play a key role in the collective memory of a country through the way they report on different historical figures and events. During the dictatorship, similarly to other communist countries, Albanian media and journalists were part of the regime’s propaganda apparatus. Their transformation in the early 1990s to independent and democratic media has not been easy. Twenty five years have passed since the fall of the Stalinist dictatorship in Albania, and it is time we examine the role Albanian media and journalists have played on the societal reflection on the country’s past during this period. The Institute for Democracy, Media and Culture (IDMC) with the support of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation in Albania aims to bring together media and cultural communication scholars in an international conference where they will present their studies on Albanian media, and discuss their views on the media’s attitude towards Albania’s past with a special focus on the previous totalitarian regime. In order to put the Albanian experience in a comparative context, international scholars with an academic interest on memory studies, in general, and on Central and Eastern European countries that have undergone similar transitional processes, in particular, will also be invited to participate.
The aim of the conference is to promote innovative research studies and findings with theoretical and empirical contributions in the field.
The conference will focus on the following themes:
- The role of the media in the past
- Journalistic culture past and present
- Collective memory topics, perspectives, and genres in the media
- Types of media outlet and the construction of collective memory
- The collective memory of other periods through the lens of communist experience/media
- Journalistic practices in producing and reproducing collective memory
- The role of the media producers in the construction of collective memory
- The role of media technology in archiving collective memory
- Collective Memory in (TV) documentaries
- Social media and collective memory
- Media of remembrance: Literature
- (New) Media of remembrance
- Other themes not mentioned by related to the main topic of the conference are also welcome.
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Scholars and graduate students who are interested to participate in this conference are invited to submit a paper proposal (abstract) of 300 words in English or in Albanian and English firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com no later than September 30, 2015. Accepted candidates will be informed by October 5, 2015.
Poster presentations proposals are also welcomed. If you wish to submit a poster presentation, please submit an abstract of 150 words in English or in Albanian and English to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com no later than September 30, 2015. Accepted candidates will be informed by October 5, 2015.
Every participant can present only one paper as author or co-author. Every author can participate with a maximum of two papers, as author or co-author. A selected number of full papers will be published.
Working languages: English and Albanian.
Conference venue: Tirana International Hotel & University of Tirana, Albania.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: