Arizona State University Online Course - English Composition
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 18 hours/week
Type: Verified, Earn Credit, Honor
Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Video Transcripts: English
About this course
Language, and the ability to communicate effectively are critical skills in the global economy. Writing and composition are vital to communicating your ideas clearly.
This introductory writing course will help you develop and express ideas effectively for a variety of purposes, audiences and occasions.
During the course, you will complete several major written projects, along with a reflection for each project. For each project, you can decide what level of technology you wish to use.
If you wish to earn university credit for the course, which will count as credit for ASU’s First-Year Composition course, we will ask you to complete a portfolio in which you demonstrate what you have learned. Specifically, you will address what you have learned in the course and provide evidence that you have acquired the skills and knowledge taught during the course.
What you'll learn
- Rhetorical Knowledge: how to craft your writing to meet the needs of specific audiences for specific purposes.
- Critical Thinking: how to make decisions about what to include and not include in your writing.
- Writing Processes: how to use invention, research, drafting, revising, and editing in your writing.
- Knowledge of Conventions: how to use various formats and stylistic choices, including genre conventions.
- Digital Technology: how to use diverse technologies to write more effectively and efficiently.
- Habits of Mind: how to benefit from curiosity, openness, engagement, creativity, persistence, responsibility, flexibility, and reflection.