HBOAccess Writing Fellowship Program
The HBOAccess Writing Fellowship is designed to give emerging, diverse writers the opportunity to develop a half-hour or hour script suitable for HBO or Cinemax.
The program will select up to 8 diverse writers to take part in a series of master classes held over one week in June at the HBO campus in Santa Monica. Classes will consist of discussions with HBO executives and showrunners and will focus on the craft of writing including structure, story, and character as well as the business aspects of securing an agent and effective networking.
Awards & Prizes
Winners will be paired with an HBO or Cinemax development executive who will serve as his/her mentor over the course of 10 months. Mentoring can be done remotely or in person pending whichever is logistically feasible. In addition, we will hold monthly group meetings during which projects will continue to be work-shopped.
Material created during the program will be considered for production in the HBOAccess 2020 Directing Fellowship.
Rules & Terms
Submission Instructions. Please follow carefully:
1. Create a Project on FilmFreeway. Log in to your FilmFreeway account and click 'My Projects', then 'Add New Project'. Thoroughly complete the details on this page. Make sure you have selected 'Script' as 'Project Type' in Section 1.
After you have created and saved a Project, you can revisit this page by going to 'My Projects', then clicking 'Edit'.
2. Upload your script. Go to 'My Projects', then 'Project File' to upload.
3. Attach your résumé. Go to My Projects, click 'View', then click 'Add a File' in the 'Files and Attachments' section to upload your résumé.
Make sure to answer to ALL questions during the checkout process.
5. Candidates are required to supply the following through the FilmFreeway portal:
• Resume or Bio
• A sample of your work (see below for types of scripts accepted)
• Answer to 2 short essay questions
• Agreement of terms and conditions
Will waivers be offered and accepted?
No late submissions will be accepted. No waivers will be offered.
What kind of material should I submit?
Submissions must be one of the following:
- An original scripted 1/2 hour comedy or dramedy pilot
- An original 1 hour drama pilot
- A full length play
- 3 scripts for the same web series
- A feature film screenplay
No specs of existing shows, short stories, novels, graphic novels, blogs, or animation scripts will be accepted.
You may only submit one application. Any additional applications will be disqualified.
Who is eligible to apply?
Any diverse writer, 21 or over, who meets our application requirements.
What is the fellowship’s definition of diversity?
For the purposes of the HBOACCESS program, diversity is defined as those who identify their heritage as any of the following:
- Native American or Indigenous
- Middle Eastern
- Those who identify as transgender
What is the selection process?
In May, we will choose up to 25 semi-finalists who will be given a phone interview and asked to submit a second script. Of those 25, up to 15 of them will be asked to interview in person with our team of HBO executives. At that time, candidates will be required to pitch an idea for a script to work on during the program. Ultimately, eight participants will be chosen as our HBOAccess Writing Fellows.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: