CineSpace, short film competition, is a collaboration between NASA and Houston Cinema Arts Society (HCAS) that offers filmmakers around the world a chance to share their works inspired by, and using, actual NASA imagery.
The Screenings and Competition (hereafter “Competition”) is offered and open only to natural persons who are at least 18 years of age at the time of entry. Parents and guardians of film makers younger than 18 can submit on their behalf.
The following persons are not eligible to win prizes: employees of NASA, Houston Cinema Arts Society (hereafter “HCAS”) and their Board, employees of vendors to NASA or HCAS that have contracted to provide services to or in connection with the Competition, members of the Selection Committee, the Competition judges, and members of the households of the foregoing persons (collectively, the “Competition Parties”). However, if they would like to submit videos for viewing and possible inclusion as finalists, individuals affiliated with NASA should contact Dan Jacobs at email@example.com and individuals affiliated with HCAS should contact Patrick Kwiatkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to discuss the details. NASA contractors may submit under certain circumstances.
By entering, you agree to these Rules and warrant that you are eligible to enter the Competition.
THIS COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
How to enter
There is no entry fee to submit to CineSpace. You may submit more than one original work.
Submissions MUST contain at least 10% (based on total running time) of NASA video imagery. More than 10% can be used and still photos can also be used in addition to the video imagery. This imagery may be obtained through the NASA IMAGE ARCHIVE or other publicly available means such as YouTube, etc. For access to NASA still images please go to the JSC Digital Image Collection or the NASA Flickr page.
The Tongal Video Submission Phase (“Submission Portal”) is OPEN NOW with a deadline of 23:59 (11:59 pm) July 31, 2018 (any time zone).
To enter the Competition, you must:
- Navigate to access the Challenge Brief, Instructions, and the Submission Form. (You will need to log-in to, or create a Tongal Account to enter your submission).
- Upload your video to Tongal through the “Submit” tab of the project page. This will allow judges to view and download the submitted videos. Preferred format for upload to the Tongal website is HD 720p 16×9. Acceptable file formats are .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv. Acceptable codecs are H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4, H.263, MPGV, WMV, DivX.
- Should you win, you will also be required to provide a 1080p .mov master file, using a ProRes, Animation, or Uncompressed Codec. In addition, any non-English language works will be required to submit a version without subtitles and provide either an English sub-title transcript or SRT file with English subtitles – based on 1080p file.
- Fill out the required information on the Submission Form, and
- Agree to Terms in the Submitter’s Agreement.
CineSpace may use third parties such as Film Freeway for marketing and visibility but all Submissions must come through the Tongal.
If your access to the Submission Portal is limited or restricted please contact email@example.com.
The video file that you submit must comply with Tongal’s recommended compression and uploading guidelines (see item 2 above for uploading instructions).
If your Submission is selected as a Finalist (as defined below), you must provide a high-resolution version upon CineSpace’s request.
Once you have submitted a work, it will not be returned. Submissions may be disqualified at any time for non-compliance with these Official Rules. CineSpace makes the final determination as to which Submissions are eligible to take part in this Competition. NASA is the sole judge of the prizewinners. CineSpace will not notify you of any disqualification or the reasons for such disqualification.
ANY ATTEMPT TO ENTER THE COMPETITION EXCEPT AS PROVIDED ABOVE IS VOID.
For more information clickbelow.