2016 ABR Elizabeth Jolley Short Story Prize
Entries are now open for the 2016 ABR Elizabeth Jolley Short Story Prize. The 2016 Jolley Prize is worth a total of $12,500, with a first prize of $7,000 and supplementary prizes of $2,000 and $1,000. The judges will also commend three additional stories, the authors of which will each receive $850.
The 2016 Jolley Prize will be judged by ABR Deputy Editor Amy Baillieu, and authors Maxine Beneba Clarke and David Whish-Wilson. Click here for more information about the judges.
Entries must be a single-authored short story of between 2000 and 5000 words, written in English. Stories must not have been previously published or be on offer to other prizes or publications for the duration of the Jolley Prize.
Entries close at midnight 11 April 2016.
Entry costs AU$15 for current ABR subscribers or AU$20 for non-subscribers. Entrants who are not current ABR subscribers can choose to subscribe when submitting their story for the special combined rates listed below:
Online entry + ABR Online subscription - $50.00
Online entry + Print subscription (Australia) - $95.00
Online entry + Print subscription (NZ and Asia) - $140.00
Online entry + Print subscription (Rest of World) - $155.00
ABR will publish the three shortlisted stories in the 2016 August Fiction Issue and announce the overall winner at a special event during the 2016 Melbourne Writers Festival later that month.
We will also still be accepting hard-copy entries
Please read our list of Frequently Asked Questions before contacting us with a question about the Jolley Prize.
You may be interested in reading the shortlisted stories from previous years. More information about all our past winners is available here, along with links to their stories.
Terms and conditions
- Entries must be a single story of 2,000 to 5,000 words, written in English.
- Multiple entries are permitted.
- Entries must be original works written by an individual author.
- Entries must not infringe upon anyone’s copyright.
- Entries that are deemed to be works of plagiarism will be disqualified.28. Entries should not be on offer to other publications or prizes or anthologies for the duration of the Jolley Prize.
- Previously published, prize-winning, or broadcast stories will not be accepted. (Previous online appearances constitute prior
- publication.) Entries will be deemed ineligible if they are under contract to another publisher or broadcaster.
- Stories entered but not shortlisted in past Jolley Prizes may be re-entered.
- Translations are not eligible.
- The closing date for entries is midnight, 11 April 2016.
- If entrants subsequently withdraw their entries, the entry fee will not be refunded.
- The prize money also covers publication in ABR Online and the print edition.
- Copyright in the story (or stories) remains with the entrant.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: