The Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University (TSU) is a spiritual and intellectual successor of multi-century Georgian culture, humanistic traditions and old Georgian educational, scientific and cultural centers.
The mission of this first Georgian university is:
•To establish national and universal values;
•To promote the intellectual, moral, cultural and socio-economic development of the society;
•To develop the university traditions through innovative research and learning;
•To protect academic freedom;
•To take care of personal and professional development of students and professors;
•To create, maintain and transfer knowledge;
•To develop basic and applied research studies;
•To promote student-centered learning and to train competitive staff;
•To promote continuing education;
•To develop international academic and scientific collaboration;
•To provide honorary membership of the free global university society.
The first-ever national university in the Caucasus was opened in 1918 laying the foundation for a European-type higher school in Georgia, based on Georgian educational traditions.
The idea of foundation of the university first emerged as far back as the early 19th century amid intensification of the struggle for liberation from Russian empire.
A new generation led by great Georgian public figure Ilia Chavchavadze, with whom a new stage of spiritual revival in the history of our country is connected, appeared on the scene in the sixties of the 19th century. The struggle for establishing the university became especially vigorous during those years.
Real possibilities of establishing a higher school have opened up after the Nobiliary Manorial Estate Bank was founded in Tbilisi. It was the only bank throughout the Russian empire, which spent its incomes to promote the cultural-educational and economic interests of the nation.
From the beginning of the 20th century Ivane Javakhishvili, who underwent his studies in Petersburg and became its assistant professor, started to organize the foundation of the Georgian University. From the very first days of the February 1917 revolution, Ivane Javakhishvili, who was in Petersburg by then, started active preparations for the opening of a higher educational institution.
The first gathering of the founders of the University Society was held at the apartment of Petre Melikishvili in Tbilisi on May 12. The gathering was chaired by Ekvtime Takaishvili. It was just on that day, when the Georgian Free University Society was established, which later played a huge role in the foundation of the University.
In autumn 1917 the founders of the University intensified their efforts to open a higher educational institution. It was decided to establish only one faculty initially – the faculty of philosophy, which would have united humanitarian fields as well as natural science and mathematics. In late December Georgian press already reported about the enrollment of the first students into the Georgian University.
Thus, the first-ever national University in the Caucasus was opened on January 26, 1918, the day of commemoration of King David the Builder (new style February 8).
Upon the nomination of Ivane Javakhishvili, the Council of Professors elected Petre Melikishvili the first rector of the university. Ivane Javakhishvili took charge of the faculty of philosophy.
The following persons delivered lectures at the newly established university: Ivane Javakhishvili, Iustine Abuladze, Giorgi Akhvlediani, Philipe Gogichaishvili, Ekvtime Takaishvili, Korneli Kekelidze, Shalva Nutsubidze, Elisabed Bagrationi-Orbeliani, Dimitri Uznadze, Vanda Gambashidze, Ilia Kipshidze, Ioseb Kipshidze, Akaki Shanidze, Andria Benashvili, Andria Razmadze, Ivane Beritashvili, and Grigol Tsereteli.
In 1989 the Tbilisi State University was named after its founder, Ivane Javakhishvili.
Today the Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University is one of the first scientific-research institutions of Georgia. It implements about 200 local and international scientific grant programs annually.
The Tbilisi State University is one of the largest higher educational institutions by its scales. Today about 22 thousand students are undergoing studies at seven faculties of TSU.
Along with bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs, the Tbilisi State University also implements higher vocational education, as well as short and long term certification programs. Based on close cooperation with foreign universities, Georgian students have opportunities to participate in exchange and joint international educational programs and gain double academic degrees.
Tbilisi State University is an active member of leading international education networks and is proud of its alumni - prominent professors, scientists and graduates, who have successfully integrated into the European community and gained the recognition worldwide.
TSU offers a wide variety of degree programs at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels and short courses offered in English language attracting students from all over the world. The internalization of TSU is fast- paced and it aims at creating multicultural environment that will enhance teaching and research opportunities. TSU promotes the equality to access education and believes in engaging and valuing all students and staff.
Choose disciplines, subscribe and receive information about international academic and professional opportunities, scholarships, summer schools, conferences, grants, fellowships and trainings matching your interests.