How to apply
Step 1: Choose Program A or B
Step 2: Choose a professor/laboratory to work in from the host laboratory list
Step 3: Apply through the UTSIP online application system
1. Program period
2017 UTSIP will offer two different program schedules. UTSIP students can join either program A or B.
Program A June 5 (Mon) to July 14 (Fri), 2017
Program B June 26 (Mon) to August 4 (Fri), 2017
2. List of host laboratories
Both programs have a different list of host laboratories. Click the program of your choice to see the list.
List of laboratories participating in Program A — June 5 (Mon) to July 14 (Fri), 2017
List of laboratories participating in Program B — June 26 (Mon) to August 4 (Fri), 2017
- 1) Fill in online application form, “Application” page.
- 2) Applicants will receive an e-mail to verify your e-mail address. Follow the instruction in the e-mail.
Non-receipt of an e-mail from us within six (6) hours after you submit the “Application” page, it means your e-mail address is not effective. You must reapply online. (Auto-reply e-mail is sometimes considered as an unsolicited e-mail, so be sure to check your spam folder.)
- 3) Once we verify your e-mail address, we will e-mail you a username, password, and the URL. You should then access this URL, and upload the required application materials by 5 pm (Japan time) Thursday, February 9, 2017.
Our server will become busier as the deadline approaches, so apply early.
Attention!! Your application will not be considered completed until you have successfully upload all of the application materials using your issued username and password.
4. Application materials
Please prepare all the application materials below well in advance; upload in PDF or JPEG format.
- Cover letter
Answer the following two questions within 500 to 700 words:
1. Why did you choose the laboratory that you did, and what do you hope to acquire from the UTSIP experience? Be specific.
2. Describe how qualified you believe you are to conduct for a research project in the laboratory you have chosen. Explain how you believe your experience and skills will enable you to successfully carry out a project.
- Curriculum vitae
Form free (paper size A4, 2-3 pages).
If you have participated in projects, please describe these experiences in detail. If you have participated in a research project related to the project you would like to conduct in UTSIP, please include this.
- Copy of your transcript
The transcript should cover all the courses of your undergraduate level study up to the most recent completed academic period of study, and must be written in English or Japanese.
- Recommendation letter
A recommendation letter should be written by someone who knows your current study well, such as your supervisor at your current university.
Your supervisor or professor can send a recommendation letter directly to us via e-mail (to: email@example.com) and the e-mail title must be ‘UTSIP 2017 Recommen letter for NAME OF APPLICANT’. In such cases, applicants are not informed of the content of the letter.
- Certificate of Registration
This certificate verifies that you are actually a registered student at your university. There is no specific format for this. Your name, name of your university and faculty, year and month of entry will be checked.
- Certificate of English proficiency
TOEFL (iBT, PBT), IELTS, or TOEIC score sheet. The most recent score report should be submitted.
The following applicants are exempted from submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score report:
1. Applicants who are nationals of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States.
2. Applicants who are students at a university in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States.
3. Applicants who are a student at a university where English is the official language.
In case 3), applicants should upload an official document issued by the university attesting to the language of education being English at the time of application.
- Copy of your passport
Page with your picture (if you have one). If you have not a passport, submit an alternative ID with your name, photo and date of birth.
Successful applicants who do not have a passport at the time of application must submit the page by mid April, 2016.
- Picture in digital data
Upper body, plain single-color background, taken within the last three months
5. Application deadline
February 9 (Thursday), 2017 by 17:00 Japan time
After the due date, the online application website will become unaccessible. Until the due date, applicants can access the website anytime and change your application materials if necessary.
Attention: Our server will becom
UTSIP Kashiwa, initiated by the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences in 2013, provides a hands-on research internship program in the departments of Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Information Technology, International Studies, Materials Sciences, Advanced Energy, Ocean Science, Physics and Sustainability Science Studies.
2017 UTSIP Kashiwa will offer two different programs:
- Program A June 5 (Mon) to July 14 (Fri), 2017
- Program B June 26 (Mon) to August 4 (Fri), 2017
Orientation, lectures by leading researchers at GSFS, Japanese classes, half-day excursion, and Welcome Party
Participants will study under the guidance of their respective laboratories after developing a research proposal, and will gain first-hand experience in the academic research process.
Participants will make a presentation summarizing their research experience and the findings of their research project, followed by Farewell Party
2. Host laboratories
The research departments accepting UTSIP students
Division of Transdisciplinary Sciences
- Advanced Materials Science
- Advanced Energy
- Complexity Science and Engineering
Division of Biosciences
- Integrated Biosciences
- Computational Biology and Medical Sciences
Division of Environmental Studies
- Ocean Technology, Policy, and Environment
- Environment Systems
- Human and Engineered Environment Studies
- Socio-cultural Environmental Studies
- International Studies
- Graduate Program in Sustainability Science
Approximately 30 students in total
(15 students for each program)
For more information click "Further official information" below.